0 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2006 12:42 AM by modjoe23

Bug? Transaction timeout....

modjoe23

I have a message driven bean which is processing a transaction which cam sometimes run for hours. The main goal I am trying to acheive is to increase the transaction timeout from the default 300 seconds (5 mins) to somehere in hours. The code below demonstrates the number of things I have tried to acheive this, but I have been unsuccessful in every attempt. I am starting to think there may be a bug in one of the transaction annotations. Please help...thanks!

- 1. Tried setting the context from setMessageDrivenContext which is called by the container. I then got the user transaction and tried to set that timeout to > 5 mins but that did not affect the 5 min default trans. timeout. (Please see commented code)

- 2. Tried setting the @TransactionTimeout annotation to a value > 500 but that seems to do nothing...bug?

- 3. Any other suggestions?

@TransactionManagement(TransactionManagementType.BEAN)
      @TransactionAttribute(TransactionAttributeType.REQUIRED)
      @TransactionTimeout(value=800)
      public class MDBDataLoadTask implements MessageListener,MessageDrivenBean {
      private MessageDrivenContext ctx;

public void onMessage(Message msg)
      {
      /*
      UserTransaction aUT = ctx.getUserTransaction();
      aUT.begin();
      aUT.setTransactionTimeout(360);
      */

try
      {
      //Perform a task that will take about this long to run
      Thread.sleep(365000);
      //aUT.commit();
      }
      catch (Exception e)
      {
      /*try{
      aUT.setRollbackOnly();}
      catch(SystemException se){System.out.println(se.toString());}*/
      }
      }

@Resource
      public void setMessageDrivenContext(MessageDrivenContext ctx) { this.ctx = ctx; }

public void ejbRemove() {ctx=null;}
      }