7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2007 3:53 PM by aguizar

jBPM BPEL / activeBPEL

arutha

Hey,

I had two questions concerning activeBPEL & Jboss's jBPM BPEL.

1. Are there any major differences between them ?

2. I can find an example of how to plug in activeBPEL into JBoss ESB, I'd like to do the same with Jboss jBPM's BPEL. I managed to tie in JBoss ESB(including jBPM) with jBPEL, but when I deploy a definition, the JPDLArchiveParser picks it up in stead of the BPEL processor. Is there a clear example on how to plug jBPM's BPEL engine into the ESB, I'm swimming in config-files here ~~.

If there would be an example of jBoss BPEL combined with ESB, examining that'd probably answer most of my other questions.

Regards

• 1. Re: jBPM BPEL / activeBPEL
          burrsutter

One of the things that you'll need to explore is if jBPM BPEL can be deployed with jBPM JPDL in the same environment.

That might be your related to problem. The ESB 4.2 bundles in jBPM JPDL 3.2.1 already which makes for a very, very nice simple orchestration solution where the service endpoints don't have to have WSDLs.

I don't know of anyone trying to integrate jBPM BPEL with the JBoss ESB.

• 2. Re: jBPM BPEL / activeBPEL
            arutha

Wouldn't the question be wether jBPM BPEL plugs into the jBPM ESB properly, since the user manual of jBPM BPEL (in the configuration chapter, if I remember correctly) states it is highly recommended to download jBPM seperately, even though jBPM BPEL includes the core-packages of jBPM ?

and... now you know one person. ~~

• 3. Re: jBPM BPEL / activeBPEL
              burrsutter

So if we put the jPDL+BPEL discussion aside and focus only on BPEL then that engine if deployed in its own server instance should be able to operate with the ESB deployed its own server (ESB Server or App Server) instance.

However, if you wish to run jBPM BPEL AND ESB in the SAME server instance then that might be slightly troublesome but nobody really knows. We would love it if you would like to work through this experimentation and post Jira tasks where ever you find issues.

Keep in mind that the ESB bundles in jBPM JPDL.

And also keep in mind that a BPEL engine (any BPEL engine) is "integrated" with any ESB simply because of its ability to consume & produce Web Services.

• 4. Re: jBPM BPEL / activeBPEL
                arutha

Alright. I'd indeed avoid these problems running BPEL and the ESB on two different server instances, by the way, but I thought I'd go for the merge attempt for simplicity (but you're right in that it might make it more work, I've come to see that now.)

I might've misunderstood the point you were trying to make in that last sentence though. do you mean it's more of a requirement that jBoss ESB supports BPEL because it is an ESB?

• 5. Re: jBPM BPEL / activeBPEL
                  burrsutter

No, I was trying to indicate how a BPEL engine could be integrated with an ESB. The ESB produces WS endpoints, the BPEL consumes them and vice versa. BPEL only deals with WS endpoints. An ESB can handle things like JMS, FTP, native connectors to legacy systems as well as WS.

• 6. Re: jBPM BPEL / activeBPEL
                    arutha

Ah, right.

Chances are I'll indeed be trying to run them separately in the manner you described.

• 7. Re: jBPM BPEL / activeBPEL
                      aguizar

I managed to tie in JBoss ESB(including jBPM) with jBPEL, but when I deploy a definition, the JPDLArchiveParser picks it up in stead of the BPEL processor

This is an issue (BPEL-239) that affects jBPM BPEL 1.1.Beta3 and earlier versions.

BPEL-239 is already resolved and will be delivered in version 1.1.GA. This version is not publicly available yet. However, you can take the latest stable snapshot from http://repository.jboss.org/jbpm/bpel/1.1.0.GA/lib/