5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2007 9:02 AM by bazoo

Swimlane assignment to group

bazoo

Hi all,

I can't make swimlane assignment to a group work. My swimlane definition is:

<swimlane name="Legal">
      <assignment expression="group(Legal)"/>
      </swimlane>

The process definition and task assigment is:

<task-node name="Contract">
      <task name="Contract" swimlane="Legal">
      </task>
      <transition name="" to="Contract response"/>
      </task-node>

The Legal group has been created in the database as well as a user that has membership of that group.

However, when I get to this point in the process, instead of assigning the task to the "Legal" group, the task is assigned to null:

1719 45 08-Sep-2007 06:50:43 task-assign[null,TaskInstance[Contract]]

I've searched this forum and found some posts back in 2005/2006 which seem to talk about a similar problem, but I can't find a good resolution (e.g. http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=73247&start=10&postdays=postDays&postorder=postOrder&highlight=highlight). I'm using jbpm-3.2GA. Can anyone explain?

• 1. Re: Swimlane assignment to group
          kukeltje

I see no reason why this should not work. Can you make a unittest that demonstrates the problem?

• 2. Re: Swimlane assignment to group
            bazoo

I'm afraid I'm not a Java programmer, I'm using the web console to run my process rather than code: I wouldn't know where to start on creating a unit test. Nevertheless, I did manage to trap the relevant error log when I click the "Save and close" button in the console for the process node that's causing me the problems:

20:42:27,868 DEBUG [GraphElement] event 'node-enter' on 'TaskNode(Contract)' for 'Token(/)'
            20:42:27,873 WARN [ProxyWarnLog] Narrowing proxy to class org.jbpm.graph.node.TaskNode - this operation breaks ==
            20:42:27,918 DEBUG [GraphElement] event 'task-create' on 'Task(Contract)' for 'Token(/)'
            20:42:27,935 DEBUG [ExpressionAssignmentHandler] resolving first term 'group(Legal)'
            20:42:27,958 DEBUG [TaskInstance] assigning task 'Contract' to 'null'
            20:42:27,961 DEBUG [GraphElement] event 'task-assign' on 'Task(Contract)' for 'Token(/)'

Looking at the above it looks like my assignment expression can't be resolved. Is there a way to force jBPM to tell me why it can't resolve my expression?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Swimlane assignment to group
              kukeltje

There is no real debug info in the expressionassignmenthandler. Most likely the group/role is not there or not correctly configured

• 4. Re: Swimlane assignment to group
                bazoo

I tried to test that out by changing my assignment expression for the swimlane in question to be:

In other words use the "sales" group which comes by default with jBPM and which I know is in there and has been tested thoroughly by the project.

However, when I get to the process node in question I get the same old error. Is this a more general problem with group assignment? Have you been able to make swimlane assignment work with groups?

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Swimlane assignment to group
                  bazoo

sorry forgot the code tags

I tried to test that out by changing my assignment expression for the swimlane in question to be:

<assignment expression="group(sales)"></assignment>

In other words use the "sales" group which comes by default with jBPM and which I know is in there and has been tested thoroughly by the project.

However, when I get to the process node in question I get the same old error. Is this a more general problem with group assignment? Have you been able to make swimlane assignment work with groups?

Thanks!