5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2014 12:10 PM by hasnainraza3

Unable to deserialize variables

Hi there, having a problem with jBPM in our UAT environment.

A small number of workflow invocations (<1%) have failed due to the exception below.

Sybase 15, jBPM 3.3.1.

[main] action threw exception: failed to read object - GraphElement.java : 295
      <<
      org.jbpm.JbpmException: failed to read object
       at org.jbpm.context.exe.converter.SerializableToByteArrayConverter.revert(SerializableToByteArrayConverter.java:88)
       at org.jbpm.context.exe.VariableInstance.getValue(VariableInstance.java:157)
       at org.jbpm.context.exe.VariableContainer.getVariableLocally(VariableContainer.java:146)
       at org.jbpm.context.exe.VariableContainer.getVariable(VariableContainer.java:30)
       at org.jbpm.context.exe.ContextInstance.getVariable(ContextInstance.java:178)
       at org.jbpm.context.exe.ContextInstance.getVariable(ContextInstance.java:165)

• 1. Re: Unable to deserialize variables
          kukeltje

In the trunk of the jBPM 3.2. brache (the *current* one) many changes regarding DB things have taken place. Amongst other Sybase related issues. Not sure if this would be fixed by one of them.

• 2. Re: Unable to deserialize variables

thanks for the reply

could you give me an indication of where in the repository these db changes might be? I've had a rummage about and everytime I think I've found some db scripts turns out they've all been moved..

would these be updates since 3.3.1 ?

• 3. Re: Unable to deserialize variables
              kukeltje

Not sure if 3.3.1 was out at that time. But since the 3.3 branche is not supported anymore, I mentioned 3.2(6sp1) explicitly. It's not only db scripts, but also things in code.

And regarding where to look, using jira issue numbers might help. Often these are used when doing checkins

• 4. Re: Unable to deserialize variables
                aguizar

I thought this issue could be related to JBPM-702. Unfortunately that issue was fixed in 3.2.4/3.3.0, hence 3.2.5/3.3.1 contains the fix already.

Some more database issues were fixed in 3.2.6. Please try again with that version and tell us how it goes. Note that 3.2.6.SP1 is the latest release in the 3.x series.

As Ronald already mentioned, the 3.3 branch is abandoned; originally it was a vehicle for new features. Due to resource constraints however, disruptive additions were pushed to 4.0 and incremental updates were backported to 3.2.

HTH

• 5. Re: Unable to deserialize variables
                  hasnainraza3

HI,

i am getting the same error with JBPM 3.3.1,did you find any solution for that ?