2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2009 12:05 PM by johncarl81

JBPM Migration 3.2.* -> 4.*

johncarl81

I am very excited about the beta release of JBPM4. From what I have read it has native Spring integration, which is something I require on my current project. We have had a lot of success with JBPM 3.2.2 processes in our production user management system (custom, I wrote), but have hit a couple road blocks in terms of the Spring integration module (timers, sub-processes, etc). The module really is incomplete.

What are the plans for a migration tool or any other possibilities for migrating the 3.2.* schema to a 4.* schema? I would hate to have to loose all the production data or do a manual data conversion myself.

Also, I assume there is going to be a JBoss Happy Pad for 4.*. Is this correct?

• 1. Re: JBPM Migration 3.2.* -> 4.*
          jbarrez

I am very excited about the beta release of JBPM4.

jBPM4 isnt beta anymore ... GA was released last Friday. But we're very happy that you are excited :-)

From what I have read it has native Spring integration, which is something I require on my current project. We have had a lot of success with JBPM 3.2.2 processes in our production user management system (custom, I wrote), but have hit a couple road blocks in terms of the Spring integration module (timers, sub-processes, etc). The module really is incomplete.

The new spring-integration fixes all the flaws of the Spring module approach. Take a look at the dev guide for documentation about the Spring integration.

What are the plans for a migration tool or any other possibilities for migrating the 3.2.* schema to a 4.* schema? I would hate to have to loose all the production data or do a manual data conversion myself.

Also, I assume there is going to be a JBoss Happy Pad for 4.*. Is this correct?

The jBPM 4.0 distribution has a 'migration tool' for process definitions (xmls). This will get you started, but will not cover every feature yet. Also, check the dev guide for more info.

For data migration, we simply don't have the team resources to work out a complete database migration. So unless someone hire JBoss consultants to do it and open sources it, this will not happen.

Note that jBPM4 is designed so it can run next to jBPM3 (no package name clashes or database schema clashes).

More migration info, see devguide: http://docs.jboss.com/jbpm/v4.0/devguide/html_single/

• 2. Re: JBPM Migration 3.2.* -> 4.*
            johncarl81

Thank you for the quick reply.

"jbarrez" wrote:
            I am very excited about the beta release of JBPM4.

jBPM4 isnt beta anymore ... GA was released last Friday. But we're very happy that you are excited :-)

Even better... where am I getting my dated information?

"jbarrez" wrote:

Note that jBPM4 is designed so it can run next to jBPM3 (no package name clashes or database schema clashes).

That might be an acceptable solution, to run 3 & 4 in tandem, but might make the application a bit bloated, especially with the wacky spring integration module... I'll certainly keep it in mind.

"jbarrez" wrote:

More migration info, see devguide: http://docs.jboss.com/jbpm/v4.0/devguide/html_single/

Thanks for the link to the dev guide... I had not found that documentation yet.

I am going to give the upgrade and data migration to version 4 a try. We are not using a lot of the functionality in 3 and this might help us in the move. If you are interested I will keep you informed.