5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2008 5:40 AM by kukeltje

community branch

tom.baeyens

when jbpm 4 goes GA, i think we should do similar as the SEAM guys: create a community branch.

that allows for an easy of contributing and we can then look if features get completed (with test cases and docs). we can decide to lend a hand if we want but that should not be treated as a given.

as long as the feature is not accepted by the team, it only stays in the community branch and doesn't make it into the next GA release.

It's probably too early to think about this but i wanted to share this thought as i just saw the seam community branch and i think it is a good idea.

• 1. Re: community branch
          jbarrez

I also believe this is a good idea.

Just make sure that the community version does not get better than the official one ;-)

• 2. Re: community branch
            thomas.diesler

Agreed, but please not earlier than 4.0.0.GA. Otherwise it will consume rather than provide manpower.

• 3. Re: community branch
              kukeltje

sure, but who is going to monitor that? Merge it? Even after 4.0. People can add functionality without adding testcases, docs or whatever, like Tom mentiones. Is e.g. test coverage going to be part of releases as well. Do these people also need to sign the contributor assignment ? If not, JBoss might get in trouble with copyright infringements.

• 4. Re: community branch
                tom.baeyens

"kukeltje" wrote:
                sure, but who is going to monitor that? Merge it? Even after 4.0. People can add functionality without adding testcases, docs or whatever, like Tom mentiones. Is e.g. test coverage going to be part of releases as well. Do these people also need to sign the contributor assignment ? If not, JBoss might get in trouble with copyright infringements.

all the requirements will be just as they are now. in fact, we'll make the requirements much more clear to contributors.

we should document clearly what we expect :
                * link to jira issue
                * code updates
                * test coverage
                * docs updates
                * xsd schema updates
                * and so on

the more complete work a contributor delivers, the easier it is for us to merge the change into the project trunk branch.

if people do not submit complete work (which they can) then it depends on whether someone else takes their work and finishes it. that could be other people from the community or people from the jbpm team itself.

this would allow us to give svn access very easily so that people can just give it a go. and on the other hand, it allows us to adopt only the contributions which we think are mature enough to enter the project/product.

• 5. Re: community branch
                  kukeltje

Yes, I know, but still.... someone has to check/validate this, merge it, ditch it if it is not complete for a long time, update this branche with trunk (reverse merging or however it is called). And there still has to be a jira issue for it to track it etc...etc...etc

Personally, I'd focus on getting more outside contributions in whatever way. I know lots of people have been creative, they just do not (or are not allowed to) post them.