3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2007 10:18 AM by peterj

creating and deploying new portals and portlets in JBOSS por

karan42in

Hi fellow portal developers,

I am a new user of JBOSS portal, i have installed the JBOSS portal 2.6beta bundle. SInce i am a new developer in portal i am clueless how to create portal and portlet's.. i ahve gone through the pdf tat guides us, but in vain.

I am in great need of your helps.. people please respond and help me out.. i used the admin of the JBOSS portal and create the portal but i am not able to get the idea, where the portal is deployed?, how to develope a portal using eclipse?

please help me out i am in a crisis....

• 1. Re: creating and deploying new portals and portlets in JBOSS
          peterj

First, it would help to know specifically what problem you have run into.

Second, since 2.6 is a beta, the documentation is also beta. Since you are just now learning the portal, it might be better to start with 2.4.1. The documentation for that is very good. Once yo understand the concepts, and have worked with portlets in 2.4.1, you can then try 2.6 again, many of the concepts are the same.

• 2. Re: creating and deploying new portals and portlets in JBOSS
            karan42in

thanx for your valuable comment Peter.. i would certainly do as u say... i would like to know one more thing..

i m able to create a portal using the admin console.. of JBOSS PORTAL.
            but i m not able to figure out where is the relative files of the portal stored in the JBOSS portal/server/deploy/...

does the files are stored in incrypted fashion like .sar or something else...

i know this might be a funny question before knowing the actual concept of the JBOSS portal... wat to do, i m in a scenario i have to deliver than improving the knowledge of JBOSS portal.. i think, u would have got the picture of wat i m trying to say...

once again thanks for your comments and i hope we continue to interact in this constructive fashion further..

• 3. Re: creating and deploying new portals and portlets in JBOSS
              peterj

There are no files stored anywhere to define the portal you created using the Management Portlet. All such information is stored in the database. Also, the files *-object.xml and portlet-instances.xml are only used to input data into the database, after which the data is read from the database (hence the appearance of the < if-exists > tag in those files to indicate on a restart of the portal whether the data in the files is to overwrite what is in the database, or the data in the database is to be kept as is).