1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 15, 2007 11:24 AM by nollie

Null Layout when portlet maximized

nollie

Hello. I have been tasked with upgrading our AS from jboss-4.0.3SP1 to jboss-4.0.5.GA, and our portal from 2.2.1-SP3 to 2.4.1. Both the AS and portal where downloaded and unzipped manually. My JDBC driver, jboss-portal.sar, and portal-hsqldb-ds.xml have been copied to the /server/default/lib. At the moment I am only working with the hypersonic database.

Almost everything works at this point. In addition to migrating my portlet descriptors I have been bringing our layout into compliance with JBoss standards - in the past we were not using many portlet styles and had no controls in the title bar. I have my portlet decorations and contols rendering correctly in my portlet title now and all of the controls work except for maximizing a portlet.

The exception:

javax.servlet.ServletException: No null layout allowed here
      org.jboss.portal.server.servlet.PortalServlet.process(PortalServlet.java:315)
      org.jboss.portal.server.servlet.PortalServlet.doGet(PortalServlet.java:173)
      javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:697)
      javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:810)
      org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:96)

root cause

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No null layout allowed here
      org.jboss.portal.theme.LayoutDispatcher.<init>(LayoutDispatcher.java:87)
      org.jboss.portal.theme.impl.JSPLayout.assembleResponse(JSPLayout.java:54)
      org.jboss.portal.core.command.MarkupCommand.execute(MarkupCommand.java:363)
      org.jboss.portal.core.command.ControllerCommand.dispatch(ControllerCommand.java:84)
      ... *snip*

I have searched the forums and found a thread or two concerning this exception where the solution seemingly had to do with the database connectivity. Since my entire portal is working except maximizing, I'm inclined to say I have a different problem. That said, we've never tried maximizing our portlets before so it could be some old mistake made before I started.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Nollie

• 1. Re: Null Layout when portlet maximized
          nollie

Don't you love it when writing out your entire problem in a forum leads you to think of the answer before anyone posts?

My problem was that we never had a maximized layout. I added this line to my portal-layouts.xml file:

<uri state="maximized">/layout/generic/maximized.jsp</uri>

right under the first URI tag and then of course made a maximized.jsp and restarted.

/Cheers