3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2007 12:38 AM by ashu_prakash

Migrate WebLogic Portal Application to JBoss

sirji

Hi all,

We have a Portal Application developed on WebLogic Portal 8.1 SP6. We need to migrate it on JBoss AS or JBoss Portal.

I am here looking for some expert comments/suggestions and any reference of the documentation available on the same.

Any suggestions on this will be BIG help.

Thanks & regards,

• 1. Re: Migrate WebLogic Portal Application to JBoss

If you used jpfs start over, rip your method bodies out, use Spring Portlets or Seam (haven't tried it).

WL Portal 8.1 is a complete ex-Microsoft developer hack. If you used
          jsr-168 portlets and Spring you will still have to clean up the jsps a lot and if you used the idiotic security stuff you should encapsulate it with an interface (we did) and create a JACC/JAAS based implementation for JBoss as a bridge.

Warning JBoss Portal's navigation sucks big time. Don't expect much from the *object.xml, build your own, theirs is a complete Model 1 hack with lots of server side java producing html and other oddities. Really don't understand what they were thinking of.

• 2. Re: Migrate WebLogic Portal Application to JBoss
            theute

"swestbom" wrote:
            Warning JBoss Portal's navigation sucks big time. Don't expect much from the *object.xml, build your own, theirs is a complete Model 1 hack with lots of server side java producing html and other oddities. Really don't understand what they were thinking of.

Thanks for your constructive compliments, i don't even know what you are talking about... I think you got confused about defining objects and MVC mechanism. I don't see how you can relate -object.xml with Model 1... I'm also very glad that you produced all your HTML on the client side. Way to go ! If you are talking about the top banner writen in java, it's not great, but this is the *default* portal implementation.

It's great that you built your own, which is probably far better, too bad that you never contribute all the great stuff that you did.

I'm sure Spring guys will also love to learn about their "idiotic security stuff" that sounds very constructive to me.

At the end, i'm glad you recommend using JBoss Seam without ever tried it. By the way, you can pre-order the book here:
            http://www.amazon.com/JBoss-Seam-Simplicity-Power-Beyond/dp/0131347969/

• 3. Re: Migrate WebLogic Portal Application to JBoss

Are there any software, tool, utility availble for migration to JBoss Portal?