3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2008 8:15 AM by mgreau

Inter-Porlet Communication for WSRP

linpeizhang

We are trying to achieve Inter-Portlet Communication between WSRP porlets. However, we cannot find any documents for that in Jboss 2.6.4 reference guide.

The best I found is this note:

"Note: The portlet 2.0 specification (JSR 286) will cover Inter Portlet Communication so that portlets using it can work with different portal vendors."

Can any of you please verify that whether IPC for WSRP portlets is implemented in JBoss Portal 2.6.4? If so, would you please kindly pointing me to some documents?

Thanks,
      Linpei Zhang

• 1. Re: Inter-Porlet Communication for WSRP
          claprun

I have been able to have a WSRP portlet react to local events via JBoss Portal IPC. Note that IPC was not part of WSRP 1.0, nor Portlet 1.0 (JSR 168) so it had to be addressed in a proprietary way by portal vendors. JSR 286 (Portlet 2.0) and WSRP 2.0 offer a standard way to deal with IPC but at this time are not fully integrated in JBoss Portal (JSR 286 will be supported in JBoss Portal 2.7, WSRP 2.0 will follow sometime later).
          May I ask what your use case is?

• 2. Re: Inter-Porlet Communication for WSRP
            linpeizhang

"chris.laprun@jboss.com" wrote:
            I have been able to have a WSRP portlet react to local events via JBoss Portal IPC. Note that IPC was not part of WSRP 1.0, nor Portlet 1.0 (JSR 168) so it had to be addressed in a proprietary way by portal vendors. JSR 286 (Portlet 2.0) and WSRP 2.0 offer a standard way to deal with IPC but at this time are not fully integrated in JBoss Portal (JSR 286 will be supported in JBoss Portal 2.7, WSRP 2.0 will follow sometime later).
            May I ask what your use case is?

Thanks for the prompt response, Chris!

That's interesting. Is it possible for your to share the codes with me?

We used to use local portlet invoking web services to integrate business functions across different business units. Recently, we are doing some research to explore the possiblity of using WSRP. So each business unit can write their own WSRP portlets and the Portal just need to integrate them.

However, one of the difficulty we are facing is that there are some shared services currently implement in our local portlets like customizing view by user preferences and user privileges. We would like to figure out a way to host those services in Portal but make them available to all the WSRP portlets.

One of the solution we are exploring is to make some local Portlet provding such services and WSRP portlets can use IPC to utilize those services.

Essentially, we would like the WSRP portlet to pass some data object to a local portlet and be able to get some data back.

We looked into the local IPC model of JBoss Portal. But not sure if the same event model will work for WSRP porlets. Your positive answer seems pretty promising. We will love to see some example codes.

Thanks,
            Linpei

• 3. Re: Inter-Porlet Communication for WSRP
              mgreau

Hi guys,

We also are trying to achieve Inter-Portlet Communication between WSRP porlets. So we installed JBoss Portal 2.7 but we didn't find any doc about this.

Is it possible to have an example ?

thanks.

Max.