1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 23, 2008 10:52 AM by claprun

JBoss5 and Portal

gt4431b

Nonspecific questions:

1. (More relevant to the problem at hand) How much pain and suffering would I be in for if I were to try installing the latest Portal onto JBoss 5? I can find no information one way or the other. I realize I could try to beat my head against this for a while to find out for sure, but I'd love a short answer.

2. (More rhetorical) Why doesn't JBoss use codenames for various releases? Go google "Jboss5 portal" and you will see everything in the world about page 5, chapter 5, subchapter 5, MySql 5, 5 o'clock, everything about JBoss portal except information about JBoss5. Ubuntu uses a great naming model -- "Gutsy Gibbon" for example eliminates all googlambiguity.

• 1. Re: JBoss5 and Portal
          claprun

"gt4431b" wrote:

1. (More relevant to the problem at hand) How much pain and suffering would I be in for if I were to try installing the latest Portal onto JBoss 5? I can find no information one way or the other. I realize I could try to beat my head against this for a while to find out for sure, but I'd love a short answer.

It wouldn't work right now as many of the services Portal depends on are based on JBoss AS 4 JMX microkernel. Many if not all of these services work in a different way in AS 5 and a significant amount of work will be necessary to migrate Portal to work on AS 5's microcontainer. This work is currently planned as part of our initiative to make Portal application server agnostic but it will be some time before it's done.

"gt4431b" wrote:

2. (More rhetorical) Why doesn't JBoss use codenames for various releases? Go google "Jboss5 portal" and you will see everything in the world about page 5, chapter 5, subchapter 5, MySql 5, 5 o'clock, everything about JBoss portal except information about JBoss5. Ubuntu uses a great naming model -- "Gutsy Gibbon" for example eliminates all googlambiguity.

We do have code names (Portal 2.6 is called Ninja, JBoss AS 4.2 is called Trinity) but we don't use them publicly that much...