1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 22, 2007 7:13 PM by gavin.king

Some basic JPDL questions

Hi,

I´ve got some basic JPDL-questions while trying to create a wizard for registering new user.

I had a jpdl-flow, which started with the following JSF-Tag:

<s:link id="registerNewUser" view="/registerUser/registerNewUser.xhtml" propagation="begin" pageflow="registerUser">#{messages.userCreateUser}</s:link>

Now I changed this call to the following code-snippet, because I have to call a method to do something before the pageflow starts:

<s:link id="registerNewUser2" action="#{ registerUserAction.startRegisterUser() }">#{messages.userCreateUser}</s:link>

This goes together with the following jpdl-file:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

<pageflow-definition name="registerUser">

<start-state name="start">
       <transition name="next" to="userData"/>
       </start-state>

<page name="userData" view-id="/registerUser/registerNewUser.xhtml">
       <redirect/>
       <transition name="next" to="evaluateUserEmail" />
       <transition name="cancel" to="cancelRegistration" />
       </page>

<decision name="addNewUser" expression="#{registerUserAction.addNewUser}">
       <transition name="true" to="finish" />
       <transition name="false" to="finalSummary"/>
       </decision>

<page name="finish" view-id="/registerUser/finish.xhtml" no-conversation-view-id="/registerUser/registerNewUser.xhtml">
       <redirect/>
       <end-conversation/>
       </page>

</pageflow-definition>

The method startRegisterUser(), that´s called before jdpl starts looks like this:

@Begin(pageflow="registerUser")
       public String startRegisterUser() {
       System.out.println("Starting process startRegisterUser");

return "next";
       }

Now I experience the following problems:

1. It seems, as if the pageflow doesn´t end properly. Although I have the <end-conversation/>-Tag in my jpdl-definition, I still get the values from the last conversation in my form, when clicking the link again after the old one has ended? Same thing if I use the @End annotation and call it within one method. Do I have to reset all objects used in my conversation manually or is there a way to invalidate them, so they don´t show up again?

2. When I click on my link and start my jpdl with the action, I get the following exception, but the pageflow works anyway. But I guess there´s a reason for it and I should solve this somehow.

14:01:26,135 ERROR [PhaseListenerManager] Exception in PhaseListener RENDER_RESPONSE(6) beforePhase.
      java.lang.IllegalStateException: No page context active
       at org.jboss.seam.core.FacesPage.instance(FacesPage.java:87)
       at org.jboss.seam.jsf.AbstractSeamPhaseListener.beforeRender(AbstractSeamPhaseListener.java:219)
       at org.jboss.seam.jsf.SeamPhaseListener.beforePhase(SeamPhaseListener.java:51)
       at org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.PhaseListenerManager.informPhaseListenersBefore(PhaseListenerManager.java:70)
       at org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.render(LifecycleImpl.java:373)
       at javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:138)
       at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
       at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
       at org.ajax4jsf.framework.ajax.xmlfilter.BaseXMLFilter.doXmlFilter(BaseXMLFilter.java:75)
       at org.ajax4jsf.framework.ajax.xmlfilter.BaseFilter.doFilter(BaseFilter.java:213)
       at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)
       at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
       at org.jboss.seam.servlet.SeamRedirectFilter.doFilter(SeamRedirectFilter.java:32)
       at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)
       at org.jboss.seam.servlet.SeamExceptionFilter.doFilter(SeamExceptionFilter.java:46)
       at org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:96)
       at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
       at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
       at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityAssociationValve.java:175)
       at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.JaccContextValve.invoke(JaccContextValve.java:74)
       at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
       at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)
       at org.jboss.web.tomcat.tc5.jca.CachedConnectionValve.invoke(CachedConnectionValve.java:156)
       at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
       at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
       at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869)
       at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:664)
       at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
       at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.MasterSlaveWorkerThread.run(MasterSlaveWorkerThread.java:112)
       at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

3. When I click on the link starting the conversation twice, without finishing the old one I get the following exception. This worked fine when starting the jpdl directly with the link and not via a method-call, as shown above. How to avoid this? Is it possible to tell, that Seam should always start a new conversation?

14:17:01,620 ERROR [Exceptions] redirecting to debug page
      javax.ejb.EJBException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: begin method invoked from a long running conversation, try using @Begin(join=true)
       at org.jboss.ejb3.tx.Ejb3TxPolicy.handleExceptionInOurTx(Ejb3TxPolicy.java:69)
       at org.jboss.aspects.tx.TxPolicy.invokeInOurTx(TxPolicy.java:83)
       at org.jboss.aspects.tx.TxInterceptor$Required.invoke(TxInterceptor.java:191)
       at org.jboss.aop.joinpoint.MethodInvocation.invokeNext(MethodInvocation.java:101)
       at org.jboss.aspects.tx.TxPropagationInterceptor.invoke(TxPropagationInterceptor.java:76)
       at org.jboss.aop.joinpoint.MethodInvocation.invokeNext(MethodInvocation.java:101)
       at org.jboss.ejb3.stateful.StatefulInstanceInterceptor.invoke(StatefulInstanceInterceptor.java:83)
       at org.jboss.aspects.security.AuthenticationInterceptor.invoke(AuthenticationInterceptor.java:77)
       at org.jboss.ejb3.security.Ejb3AuthenticationInterceptor.invoke(Ejb3AuthenticationInterceptor.java:102)
       at org.jboss.ejb3.ENCPropagationInterceptor.invoke(ENCPropagationInterceptor.java:47)
       at org.jboss.ejb3.asynchronous.AsynchronousInterceptor.invoke(AsynchronousInterceptor.java:106)
       at org.jboss.ejb3.stateful.StatefulContainer.localInvoke(StatefulContainer.java:203)
       at org.jboss.ejb3.stateful.StatefulLocalProxy.invoke(StatefulLocalProxy.java:98)
       at $Proxy394.startRegisterPublisher(Unknown Source)
       at com.sepus.seam.action.RegisterUserAction$$FastClassByCGLIB$$a93b3ccb.invoke(<generated>)
       at net.sf.cglib.proxy.MethodProxy.invoke(MethodProxy.java:149)
       at org.jboss.seam.intercept.RootInvocationContext.proceed(RootInvocationContext.java:45)
       at org.jboss.seam.intercept.ClientSideInterceptor$1.proceed(ClientSideInterceptor.java:73)
       at org.jboss.seam.intercept.SeamInvocationContext.proceed(SeamInvocationContext.java:55)
       at org.jboss.seam.interceptors.RemoveInterceptor.removeIfNecessary(RemoveInterceptor.java:39)
       at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
       at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
       at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
       at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
       at org.jboss.seam.util.Reflections.invoke(Reflections.java:18)
       at org.jboss.seam.intercept.Interceptor.aroundInvoke(Interceptor.java:169)
       at org.jboss.seam.intercept.SeamInvocationContext.proceed(SeamInvocationContext.java:64)
       at org.jboss.seam.interceptors.ExceptionInterceptor.handleExceptions(ExceptionInterceptor.java:38)
       at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor671.invoke(Unknown Source)
       at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
       at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
       at org.jboss.seam.util.Reflections.invoke(Reflections.java:18)
       at org.jboss.seam.intercept.Interceptor.aroundInvoke(Interceptor.java:169)
       at org.jboss.seam.intercept.SeamInvocationContext.proceed(SeamInvocationContext.java:64)
       at org.jboss.seam.intercept.RootInterceptor.createSeamInvocationContext(RootInterceptor.java:144)
       at org.jboss.seam.intercept.RootInterceptor.invokeInContexts(RootInterceptor.java:129)
       at org.jboss.seam.intercept.RootInterceptor.invoke(RootInterceptor.java:102)
       at org.jboss.seam.intercept.ClientSideInterceptor.interceptInvocation(ClientSideInterceptor.java:82)
       at org.jboss.seam.intercept.ClientSideInterceptor.intercept(ClientSideInterceptor.java:51)
       at org.jboss.seam.intercept.Proxy$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$151004bd.startRegisterPublisher(<generated>)

Can anyone please give more details to all this behaviour?

Thanks a lot

Thomas

• 1. Re: Some basic JPDL questions
          gavin.king

1. The conversation ends *after* the last page of the pageflow has been rendered. So if you display values in /finish.xhtml, they will be the values from the conversation. You can check that conversations are being ended correctly by navigating to the Seam debug page, and seeing a list of active conversations.

2. Is some Ajax4JSf-related problem by the looks.

3. This is expected. There are various ways to approach the problem, for example, use propagation="none" on the link.