5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2007 2:02 PM by gavin.king

s:link

Does s:link always output a lot of text as its rendered HTML? Is there any way to get rid of this to result in more "friendly" URLs? (e.g. put that stuff in hidden form fields or something)

I noticed the outputted URL has lots of parameters like actionMethod, dataModelSelection...out of curiosity, what do having these parameters do?

• 1. Re: s:link
          gavin.king

No, you can't put this stuff in form fields, because there is no form! s:link if for GET requests. These parameters only appear when they are needed. In simple cases, they aren't there at all.

• 2. Re: s:link

When would you use s:link vs h:commandButton within a dataTable?

• 3. Re: s:link
              agori

"gavin.king@jboss.com" wrote:
              No, you can't put this stuff in form fields, because there is no form! s:link if for GET requests. These parameters only appear when they are needed. In simple cases, they aren't there at all.

What do you think about using alias names instead of action method encoded in the URL?

<s:link alias="item">Select Item</s:link>

and in some action-association.xml

#{item.selectItem}

or much better a new annotation.

This is also an improvement abuot security (you are not exposing the action method name to the client, but I am not sure what seam actualliy is exposing so I could be wrong).

I did a link component + JSF phase-listener to make work this idea some time ago. The result is that you get prettier URL and maybe good security, but you still have to config the association between alias and action in some XML (but Seam could use an annotation).

• 4. Re: s:link
                agori

"agori" wrote:

and in some action-association.xml

#{item.selectItem}

Sorry, I meant

<associations>

<alias name="item">
                #{itemBean.selectItem}
                </alias>

</associations>

• 5. Re: s:link
                  gavin.king

What do you think about using alias names instead of action method encoded in the URL?

You can already do this. Its called a page action.