9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2007 2:29 PM by tony.herstell1

Seam ICEFaces

pesho4uka

Hello Gurus,

i have a small question. How much exactly are compatable ICEFaces and Seam.
      Second question is it a good practice to replace all JSF Backing beans with corespondent Statless and Statefull Beans.

Third. If i use valueChangeListener in ICEFaces inputText to validate asynchroniusly user input is it bad to attach it to a statless bean for example. Isn't it going to be very slow because there will be remote calls on every input?
      Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Seam ICEFaces
          gavin.king

Actually icefaces uses a delay when sending value change events. So it doesn't hammer the server with a request on every keypress.

• 2. Re: Seam ICEFaces
            pesho4uka

Ok that's very cool but is it an answere to my questions?

• 3. Re: Seam ICEFaces

1.) How much exactly are compatable ICEFaces and Seam?

Not much. Icefaces is a complete mess. Seam is not.

2.) Is it a good practice to replace all JSF Backing beans with corespondent Statless and Statefull Beans?

No, definitly not. First you usually don't need any backing beans for entity beans anymore so you can simply drop those. Second you don't need session beans for everything. Actually you need them only if you need the features of enterprise beans. If it is simple business logic you are better of with plain seam componetns.

Refards

Felix

• 4. Re: Seam ICEFaces
                gavin.king

I just spent two days with the ICEFaces guys, working through a list of issues, among other things. Seam 1.1.6 ships with icefaces 1.5.3, which works better with Seam than previous versions. icefaces 1.5.4 should work even better.

My impression is that icefaces is great technology, superior to other Ajax solutions out there, but it hasn't quite been battlehardened to the same extent that Seam has been. This is going to change quick, since they are doing 18k downloads per month, and are going to have users screaming at them pretty soon.

We have established an "ICE Faces Integration" component in Seam JIRA, where Seam users are welcome to submit bugs and other issues, so that they are visible to both the Seam and ICEFaces teams.

• 5. Re: Seam ICEFaces
                  gus888

"gavin.king@jboss.com" wrote:
                  Seam 1.1.6 ships with icefaces 1.5.3, which works better with Seam than previous versions. icefaces 1.5.4 should work even better.

We have established an "ICE Faces Integration" component in Seam JIRA, where Seam users are welcome to submit bugs and other issues, so that they are visible to both the Seam and ICEFaces teams.

This is a great news. We really appreciate it, Gavin.

"gavin.king@jboss.com" wrote:
                  My impression is that icefaces is great technology, ....

I totally agree to it, although some components were not designed very well.

Thank you soooo much for Seam and ICEfaces!

• 6. Re: Seam ICEFaces
                    vladimir.kovalyuk

Does Icefaces 1.5.3 support Seam debug page and request parameters?
                    I remember exceptions.

It's great news that two teams have intentions to make two technologies working well together.
                    Is it a time to inspect Icefaces compatibility with Seam once again? Or we should wait for a while?

• 7. Re: Seam ICEFaces
                      mariuszs

I recommend waiting ...

• 8. Re: Seam ICEFaces

I have been dying to try out AJAX in my application. At a first glance, ICEFaces does seem to be a great solution.

Is there a time line for having Seam and ICEFaces working completely with Seam?

I only noticed on open JIRA item.

• 9. Re: Seam ICEFaces
                          tony.herstell1

This is an good endorsement!

My impression is that icefaces is great technology, superior to other Ajax solutions out there

cross-post on Icefaces Forum
                          http://www.icefaces.org/JForum/posts/list/3676.page

From MY experience (with Seam):

# Text Entry works ok as long as you don't move too quickly between the fields on a multi field form with partial submit "on" as this causes some sort of error in the back end and causes either:
                          **Too many xxxx queued up at the blocking bean (or something like this) from IceFaces
                          or
                          **No Long Running Conversation exception from SEAM.
                          (I have turned off partial-submit, for now, on all text entry fields due to this)

Note: A feature of using partial submit is that you have to leave a field for it to be validated... which is, initially, quite weired when you are sat with your cursor in the last field on a form and are waiting for it to fail validation!!!... also makes it really hard to disable the submit button based on "all" the fields being valid as again you are sat staring at the cursor in the last field wondering why the submit button is not enabled (for now I took this code out and never disable the submit button)!

Note:Hitting "enter" from a field to get the form to submit is non-trivial. There are few examples on the forum but it has not appeared in the IceFaces documentation yet.

# Selection works ok.
                          # Buttons and Links work ok.
                          # AutoComplete - Not Used Yet.
                          # Drag and Drop - Not used yet.
                          # Calendar now works with very latest build.
                          # Tree - Not used yet (but will be very very soon!)
                          # Menu Bar works ok (hard coded.. I think I may know how to make it dynamic now I have figured out about what "bindings" are.)
                          # Effects seem to work ok. (not sure how to do these dynamically)
                          # Table work great, paged, can filter by header etc. Still not managed to clear a defect where you are on page 3 and re-filter so only have 2 pages but are left looking at an empty page 3 - even after help in the forums... cant get the "binding" code to work.
                          # File Upload not working yet (so don't know about progress bar yet).
                          # Charts - Not used yet.
                          # The Stacking Panel Layout has worked so far (used twice).

Regardless to all this; you get these random errors
                          **Too many xxxx queued up at the blocking bean (or something like this) from IceFaces
                          or
                          **No Long Running Conversation exception from SEAM.
                          **Conversations just disappearing!

I hope this helps.

Please remember that IceFaces team and Seam Team are meeting this week to resolve issues. Expect great results!

Also, I may have my libraries set up incorrectly; have too many/few conflicting libraries etc... or my code may be a pile of poo!

Seam doc is excellent (but not for using iceFaces).
                          IceFaces doc is good, but spread over the Web Site (tutorials, tag library, component showcase + text that goes with them), but especially useful: http://www.icefaces.org/main/resources/tutorials.iface

:/