1 2 3 4 Previous Next 56 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2007 5:27 AM by pmuir

Seam 2.0 BETA

gavin.king

http://blog.hibernate.org/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi/2007/06/27#seam2beta

Three months to the day after the release of Seam 1.2.1, Seam2 has entered its beta phase. The Seam 2.0 codebase is more robust, better organized, better documented and is designed to take Seam beyond the world of JSF. Seam 2.0 introduces the following changes and new features:

* Seam WS allows Seam components to function as Web Service endpoints
      * Seam components may now be writted in Groovy
      * The Seam core is now independent of JSF
      * Experimental support for the Google Web Toolkit
      * Integration of Hibernate Search
      * Introduction of JBoss EL, an extension to the Unified EL of Java EE 5
      * Major enhancements to Seam Asynchronicity, including Quartz integration
      * Major enhancements to jBPM integration
      * Completely reorganized packaging of built-in components
      * Migration to JSF 1.2
      * Simplified configuration
      * Support for pageflow composition
      * Enhancements to the integration testing framework
      * New transaction abstraction layer with support for non-JTA environments
      * Enhanced JavaDoc
      * Two new example applications
      * Migration to the new Embedded JBoss
      * Seam JSF controls reimplemented using Ajax4JSF CDK
      * Many, many bugfixes

Many thanks to everyone who contibuted to this major release, and to the Seam community for your ongoing support, encouragement and enthusiasm.

Get it here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=22866&package_id=163777&release_id=519157

• 1. Re: Seam 2.0 BETA
          gavin.king

Note that this release was tested on the following platforms:

* JBoss 4.2
          * Tomcat 6.0
          * GlassFish V2 and V1
          * WLS 9.2
          * OC4J 11g Technology Preview

It can be made to run on JBoss 4.0.5 by upgrading the AS to support JSF 1.2 (instructions in the documentation).

We have had problems deploying on WebSphere, which we are investigating.

However, I just found a minor errata (ie. bug) in the jee5 example. You'll need to change web.xml, removing the EjbTransactionListener ejb-link, and replacing it with this:

<ejb-local-ref>
           <ejb-ref-name>jboss-seam-jee5/EjbTransaction/local</ejb-ref-name>
           <ejb-ref-type>Session</ejb-ref-type>
           <local>org.jboss.seam.transaction.LocalEjbTransaction</local>
           <ejb-link>EjbTransaction</ejb-link>
           </ejb-local-ref>

• 2. Re: Seam 2.0 BETA

Out of curiosity, is the jboss-el a seperate project or will it stay embedded inside the Seam project? I know I can get the source at http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/jboss-el/ but there doesn't seem to be any branches or tags yet. I was just curious to see if I could attach a version number to it and if it will have the same release cycle as Seam.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Seam 2.0 BETA
              gavin.king

This has not really been decided yet.

• 4. Re: Seam 2.0 BETA
                jlaskowski

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, has Geronimo been considered? Were there any troubles? Where should I start from to see whether Seam works on Geronimo or not?

Jacek
                Geronimo committer

• 5. Re: Seam 2.0 BETA
                  saeediqbal1

"gavin.king@jboss.com" wrote:

Many thanks to everyone who contibuted to this major release, and to the Seam community for your ongoing support, encouragement and enthusiasm.

Thanks team & all the best!

• 6. Re: Seam 2.0 BETA
                    gavin.king

"jlaskowski" wrote:
                    Hi,

Just out of curiosity, has Geronimo been considered? Were there any troubles? Where should I start from to see whether Seam works on Geronimo or not?

Jacek
                    Geronimo committer

We have not tried it.

• 7. Re: Seam 2.0 BETA
                      pmuir

Start with the jee5 example - it's up and running on OC4J and Glassfish (Gavin posted a bug fix for the beta release earlier) - if you can create a wiki page describing how you got it running that would be great :)

• 8. Re: Seam 2.0 BETA
                        phantom

Good news! :)

I have several question:
                        1) Are you planning to switch development complitly to 2 version or you'll also support 1?
                        2) Can I download somewhere Jboss Seam 2.0 with all requered (AS, JSF 1.2 etc.) as one installation package? I had a lot of problems to install Jboss Seam on my Jboss AS and update all requered packages...
                        3) Are Jboss Seam 2.0 fully support application that was writen for 1.2.1 for example? May be you have migration guide? Where I can find it?

Thank you for a good job!:)

• 9. Re: Seam 2.0 BETA

Is Seam 1.3.0 (still in ALPHA) still going to be released? What's the difference between 1.3 and 2.0 (BETA)?

Or just ignore 1.3 ?

• 10. Re: Seam 2.0 BETA
                            pmuir

1) We are now working entirely on Seam2, Seam 1.2.1.GA is part of the Application Platform though, and will be maintained
                            2) Not from the community releases, but the application platform will offer this (still should soon be GA IIRC)
                            3) The migration guide is in the download for Seam2, or here http://fisheye.jboss.com/browse/JBoss/jboss-seam/seam2migration.txt?r=1.1
                            - no, you can't just swap an app between 1.2.1 and 2 - mainly due to repackaging and the upgrade to JSF 2

No, Seam 1.3.0 won't be released. 1.3 was the old name for 2 :)

• 11. Re: Seam 2.0 BETA

"pete.muir@jboss.org" wrote:
                              1) We are now working entirely on Seam2, Seam 1.2.1.GA is part of the Application Platform though, and will be maintained
                              2) Not from the community releases, but the application platform will offer this (still should soon be GA IIRC)
                              3) The migration guide is in the download for Seam2, or here http://fisheye.jboss.com/browse/JBoss/jboss-seam/seam2migration.txt?r=1.1
                              - no, you can't just swap an app between 1.2.1 and 2 - mainly due to repackaging and the upgrade to JSF 2

No, Seam 1.3.0 won't be released. 1.3 was the old name for 2 :)

why the sudden change in release strategy? Seam 1.3.0 Alpha was out just a couple of weeks ago, now it's gone from the radar?

Thanks,
                              Brad Smith

• 12. Re: Seam 2.0 BETA
                                ryoung2504

s:link no longer outputs the id given to it since I've upgraded to 2.0.
                                This breaks my selenium tests.

<s:link id="register" view="/register.xhtml"
                                value="Register New User"/>
                                produced

<a href="..." id="register">Register New User</a>

now it produces

<a href="...">Register New User</a>

However, apart from that, seam 2.0 now appears to be running faster and smoother than 1.2 / 1.2.1 / 1.3 did.

• 13. Re: Seam 2.0 BETA
                                  pmuir

I've fixed this in CVS - thanks for the report :)

• 14. Re: Seam 2.0 BETA
                                    gavin.king

Seam 1.3.0 Alpha was out just a couple of weeks ago, now it's gone from the radar?

In that "couple of weeks" I found the time to rewrite a *lot* of code. And I finally got sick of looking at some of the mistakes I made in early versions that have hung around for backward compatibility reasons.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next