2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2008 4:32 PM by mschmidke

Begin method invoked from a long-running conversation - what

mschmidke

Hello all,

sometimes I get the well known "begin method invoked from a long-running conversation" exception.

Usually this is because I have some error in my program logic. It simply says that when the execution comes to my @Begin method, someone else has already unexpectedly started a conversation

I found that it is often very difficult to find such kind of error.

Is there any option which can help me to find the point back in time where the Conversation was started? Any useful location for a breakpoint, for example, or some logging facility?

Marcus.

• 1. Re: Begin method invoked from a long-running conversation -
          mschmidke

A lot of investigation later:

Seems this time I have a really big problem with this. I have a new component which is very similar to the ones I already had (did not find any convincing difference until now), but it does not work.

The new component has a @Create @Begin method to begin the conversation, just like all of my other components.

It is @Conversational, just like all of my other components.

And it is called from rich:dropdownmenu with conversationPropagation=none or end, I tried both, just like all of my other components.

But I get the annoying "Begin method invoked from a long-running conversation" error.

Now I tried to use join=true (not that I wanted to do this, but only to look what will happen), and the result is very impressive:

"no long-running conversation for @Conversational bean"

I've tried to debug all this. Set a breakpoint at Manager.setLongRunningConversation. But this was a dead end. Conversations are turned on-off-on-off just during one single Event (and sometimes just on-off-on, that's the problem), which gave me absolutely no clue.

Please help me!!!

• 2. Re: Begin method invoked from a long-running conversation -
            mschmidke

Finally I've found the cause.

The page which does not work has page parameters in pages.xml. If I remove them, that page can be called (but I need them).

But now that I found the reason, I still don't know why this is an error and what I can do.

Can you help?

Marcus.