1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 25, 2008 11:55 AM by mwringe

children contexts no longer being started at init

mwringe

I have noticed that the behaviour for automatically starting children contexts at init has been changed for the version of JBossWeb in JBoss 5.0.0.CR1. It used to be that children would be started by default (JBoss 4.2 and upstream Tomcat), now they don't.

new code which causes this change, org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost:

startChildren = Boolean.valueOf(System.getProperty("org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.startChildren", "true")).booleanValue();

And this property is set to false in catalina.properties

Note: this appears to be an issue with JBossWeb and not with upstream Tomcat since Tomcat doesn't have these changes.

• 1. Re: children contexts no longer being started at init
          mwringe

Can anyone explain the need for 'org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.startChildren' in latest versions of JBoss Web?
          Is it safe to change the behaviour back to how older versions of JBoss (pre 5.0) and Tomcat behave? (by setting the environment variable).

I can't seem to find any documentation on why it was added other than from the svn logs that

Add JBoss default for not starting contexts in init (which would cause two errors instead of just one)"

This is causing some failures for me with JBoss 5.0.0.CR1 which works fine with JBoss 4.2.x and Tomcat.

Note: this is not a tomcat issue as this feature is only present in JBoss Web.