I was yesterday in Nancy (France) to meet with Inria folks on the PVM collaboration. Inria guys (co-founders of Bonita Workflow) are specialised in collaboratif applications/environments and are currently working on a flexible and advanced task management module on top of the PVM.
The purpose of this meeting was to synch on the User Task module and its integration on the XPDL extension.
- Bull team has set up a first task management implementation supporting main XPDL/Bonita concepts related to human task and roles-users mappings
- Inria team has enhanced this implementation adding advanced states/operations inspired by the Human Task specification from OASIS.
Task Management module, main objectives:
The intent is to define and to implement a generic, flexible, extensible, simple but powerful Task Management module on top of the PVM that could be reused by both process languages extensions and simple java applications.
- Generic task module for human task management on top of the PVM
- Responsible of user's tasks list and language extensions tasks interaction
- Independent from any process language extension. Usable within the languages extensions by implementing a defined interface (XPDL/Bonita as a first implementation)
- Inspired on the Human Task specification (to be completed and to make it compliant with in case this spec. gets momentum)
- "Gouvernance" capabilities: time, task and role based.
- Delegation and escalation features
- Advanced roles - users mapping mecanisms based on Information System constraints, rules, and user logic.
- Able to communicate/interact with "the rest of the world": calendars, email, online task managers...
- Bull team: to review Inria enhancements, to provide feedback and to integrate them into the XPDL svn. First implementation of security and identity services
- Inria team: to define interfaces/interactions between this module and both PVM and process languages extensions. Prototyping on connecting the task management module with and online task manager (i.e http://www.rememberthemilk.com/ )