6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2006 12:08 PM by emil_prager

can JBossESB be used with other Application Servers than JBo

emil_prager

Hi there!

I was wondering if JBossESB can be used in the context of other AS (WebSphere 6.1, for example).

(I need to evaluate some open-source products for reconstructing an internal framework using some of the technologies that arised recently.
      And, although our main AS is JBoss, we need to avoid keeping too "coupled" to JBoss AS, because some customers can already have installed WebSphere, Oracle, WebLogic or other AS-es).

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
      ___ Emil Prager __________________________________________________

• 1. Re: can JBossESB be used with other Application Servers than
          marklittle

Other application server support is something that is definitely on our roadmap, but that will be next year. If you want to try this yourself then we can try to help you through any issues with the forum. The JBossESB requirements on an AS are fairly narrow at the moment, so it may not be a monumental task.

• 2. Re: can JBossESB be used with other Application Servers than
            emil_prager

First, thank you for the quick answer!

The JBossESB requirements on an AS are fairly narrow at the moment, so it may not be a monumental task.

Well, I hope so :-)

From my (company's) perspective, the main target AS-es (not speaking about JBoss AS) are WebSphere and Oracle iAS (and eventually WebLogic).
            So these days I'll try to make JBossESB work with at least one of these servers.

For the next days, I have to try to compare 2 triades composed of:

+ JBossESB,

+ Drools/JBoss Rules and

+ jBPM

, on one side, and:
            + CodeHaus Mule,

+ Open Rules and

+ Enhydra Shark or OSWorkflow
            , on the other side.

[with possible permutations between the 2 triades :-) ].
            So maybe we'll have the ocassion to talk about integration at a larger scale (trying to avoid (negative or positive) publicity).
            (Of course, I won't not post here questions not enough related to this forum, but at the jBPM or JBoss Rules forums).

If you want to try this yourself then we can try to help you through any issues with the forum.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

• 3. Re: can JBossESB be used with other Application Servers than
              emil_prager

Hello, Mark!

I'm not sure that I can ask this here, but:
              Have you (by "you" meaning the guys working on the ESB project) done some small test/trials of integrating JBossESB with other AS, let's say, WebSphere 6.x ?
              Can you give some hints as a starting point? (I'm not experienced at all with the WebSphere stuff, so I'm a little mazed about this kind of task).

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

• 4. Re: can JBossESB be used with other Application Servers than
                kurtstam

Hi Emil,

There is a difference between interating with and running on another AS. In the past we have been able to run on JBoss but run JMS over MQ Series to WebSphere.

We have not yet deployed it on other ASs, but as you can see from thread it is on our roadmap.

--Kurt

• 5. Re: can JBossESB be used with other Application Servers than

To be able to deploy the JBoss ESB you first need to use an App. Server that supports EJB3 - currently i think that's JBoss, and Oracle. I don't think there is any EJB3 support in any of the production versions of Websphere, and judging by past timelines they are one of the slower packages to upgrade to new J2EE specifications.

The Beta1 w/service patch only require an app. server because the persistence mechanism in this release uses an EJB to handle this service. It's really a matter of taking this codebase, and creating the proper app server deployment file for your chosen app. server (inside the EAR file). Once you can create this file inside of the EAR, you should just be able to deploy it and run.

Running the Trailblazer, you have a similar situation. You need your app. server to support JSR-181 for web services, and then you need to modify the WAR creation task to create the proper meta file required by your app. server.

• 6. Re: can JBossESB be used with other Application Servers than
                    emil_prager

About enabling EJB3 support on WebSphere 6.1, I think I'll try that with the JBoss Embeddable EJB 3.0 component
                    (probably the Alpha 8 Patch 2 version).

Maybe I'll post some other questions/issues when I'll have some "concrete" problems.

Thank you again for your answers!

Best regards,