8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2007 12:22 PM by webhunter

Why does juddi RMI service fail to start

webhunter

I have just installed the JbossESB to my Jboss app server. When I start my server the JUDDI RMI Service fails to start throwing the exception below. Could someone please advice on what could be causing this. The only difference is , I am running my own server instance (not default) and it is clustered. Thanks.

16:36:37,218 INFO [RARDeployment] Required license terms exist, view META-INF/ra
      .xml in .../deploy/jboss-ha-local-jdbc.rar
      16:36:37,250 INFO [RARDeployment] Required license terms exist, view META-INF/ra
      .xml in .../deploy/jboss-ha-xa-jdbc.rar
      16:36:37,281 INFO [RARDeployment] Required license terms exist, view META-INF/ra
      .xml in .../deploy/jboss-local-jdbc.rar
      16:36:37,359 INFO [WrapperDataSourceService] Bound ConnectionManager 'jboss.jca:
      service=DataSourceBinding,name=juddiDB' to JNDI name 'java:juddiDB'
      16:36:37,406 INFO [DatabaseInitializer] java:/juddiDB datasource is already init
      ialized
      16:36:37,406 INFO [JuddiRMIService] starting juddi RMI service
      16:36:38,436 INFO [STDOUT] javax.naming.NameAlreadyBoundException
      16:36:38,436 INFO [STDOUT] at org.jnp.server.NamingServer.bind(NamingServer.
      java:129)
      16:36:38,436 INFO [STDOUT] at org.jboss.ha.jndi.TreeHead.bind(TreeHead.java:
      95)
      16:36:38,436 INFO [STDOUT] at org.jboss.ha.jndi.HAJNDI.bind(HAJNDI.java:116)

16:36:38,452 INFO [STDOUT] at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(N
      ative Method)
      16:36:38,452 INFO [STDOUT] at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Na
      tiveMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

• 1. Re: Why does juddi RMI service fail to start
          tfennelly

Does it happen if you start only one node in the cluster?

• 2. Re: Why does juddi RMI service fail to start
            webhunter

Yes, I am starting only one node from my dev machine.

• 3. Re: Why does juddi RMI service fail to start
              webhunter

I have noticed something interesting (or probably weird)

If i delete my tmp/work directories and re-install ESB, I dont get an error while starting up. However, when I press Ctrl-C or (shutdown), I get the error below. Once I see the error below, if I restart the server again, I get the initial error reported while starting Jboss. I am sure I must be doing something wrong, after installing, do I need to touch any files in the ..esb.sar folder? Here' the stack trace that occurs when you shut down. Please note that at this stage I have'nt installed any of the samples yet.

16:50:13,152 INFO [ConnectionFactoryBindingService] Unbound ConnectionManager 'j
              boss.jca:service=DataSourceBinding,name=DefaultDS' from JNDI name 'java:DefaultDS
              '
              16:50:14,239 INFO [HypersonicDatabase] Database standalone closed clean
              16:50:14,254 INFO [JuddiRMIService] Unbinding juddi services
              16:50:14,254 WARN [JuddiRMIService] Stopping failed jboss.esb:service=JuddiRMIjavax.naming.NameNotFoundException: InquiryService not bound
              at org.jnp.server.NamingServer.getBinding(NamingServer.java:529)
              at org.jnp.server.NamingServer.getBinding(NamingServer.java:537)
              at org.jnp.server.NamingServer.unbind(NamingServer.java:242)
              at org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext.unbind(NamingContext.java:752)
              at org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext.unbind(NamingContext.java:737)
              at javax.naming.InitialContext.unbind(InitialContext.java:375)

• 4. Re: Why does juddi RMI service fail to start
                tfennelly

Right, interesting.... Hmmm, This is all Kurt's stuff and he's on vacation.

The only thing I can think from here is that there's more than one DS file attempting to deploy that datasource, but you say you've installed nothing other than the sar.
                Try moving/deleting juddi-ds.xml from your sar. Then start the AS. If it comes up, go to http://localhost:8080/jmx-console/ and see if the juddiDB DS is deployed.

• 5. Re: Why does juddi RMI service fail to start
                  tfennelly

BTW, this is a clean install of the 4.0.5 AS, right? Not the one you were previously running the 4.0GA version of the ESB from?

• 6. Re: Why does juddi RMI service fail to start
                    webhunter

This is a clean install of the 4.0.5GA. However, I have copied over the previous server instance into the new jboss/server directory. After I have done this, I removed all the esb files related to the 4.0.GA version before installing the 4.2MR1 version on to it. If i remove the juddi-ds.xml, the sever does'nt throw the RMI service exception however at the end it throws the information below. And I dont see anything related to juddiDB in the jmx-console.

--- MBeans waiting for other MBeans ---
                    ObjectName: jboss.esb:service=JuddiDatabaseInitialization
                    State: CONFIGURED
                    I Depend On:
                    jboss.jca:service=DataSourceBinding,name=juddiDB

ObjectName: jboss.esb:service=JuddiRMI
                    I Depend On:
                    jboss.jca:service=DataSourceBinding,name=juddiDB
                    Depends On Me:
                    jboss.esb:service=ESBDeployer

ObjectName: jboss.esb:service=ESBDeployer
                    I Depend On:
                    jboss.esb:service=ESBRegistry
                    jboss.esb:service=JuddiRMI
                    jboss.jca:service=DataSourceBinding,name=JBossESBDS

--- MBEANS THAT ARE THE ROOT CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM ---
                    ObjectName: jboss.jca:service=DataSourceBinding,name=juddiDB
                    State: NOTYETINSTALLED
                    Depends On Me:
                    jboss.esb:service=JuddiDatabaseInitialization
                    jboss.esb:service=JuddiRMI

• 7. Re: Why does juddi RMI service fail to start
                      tfennelly

Not sure I quite follow the sequence of events there, but anyway... I think at this stage it requires someone that knows more about JBossAS clustering than I do.

Another thing you could try (apart from zapping your "clean" AS and installing it again - just in case) would be to copy juddi-ds.xml to the server/deploy folder, delete the sar, restart and see do you get the same error with the sar completely out of the picture. If you don't, it "might" point to an issue with the JBossESB Deployer. That's a totally random guess though, so take it with a grain of saly ;-)

• 8. Re: Why does juddi RMI service fail to start
                        webhunter

Thank you for all the help today.

I will post here how my R&D goes :-)