4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2007 10:45 AM by tfennelly

Problem deploying quickstart webservice_war1

Me again :-),

Seems like I'm having trouble deploying the webservice_war1 quickstart example.

I'm running 4.2.0.GA AS, Messaging 1.3.0.GA, JBossWS 2.0.0.GA (just downloaded and installed this), and JBossESB revision 13264 from SVN. btw: the new build instructions are much more clear, thank you!

I changed into the product/samples/quickstarts/webservice_war1 directory and ran "ant" as described in "readme.txt".

Deployment to my app. server started, but the deployment failed with the following stack trace. Any ideas on what is going wrong would be appreciated.

13:54:15,991 ERROR [MainDeployer] Could not create deployment: file:/C:/Java/jboss-4.2.0.GA/server/messaging/tmp/deploy/tmp12225Quickstart_webservice_war1.esb-contents/Quickstart_webservice_war1.war
      java.lang.NullPointerException
      at org.jboss.wsf.container.jboss42.WebMetaDataAdapter.buildUnifiedWebMetaData(WebMetaDataAdapter.java:64)
      at org.jboss.wsf.container.jboss42.DeploymentInfoAdapter.buildMetaData(DeploymentInfoAdapter.java:117)
      at org.jboss.wsf.container.jboss42.DeploymentInfoAdapter.buildDeploymentInfo(DeploymentInfoAdapter.java:86)
      at org.jboss.wsf.container.jboss42.UnifiedDeploymentInfoDeployer.create(UnifiedDeploymentInfoDeployer.java:64)
      at org.jboss.wsf.spi.deployment.BasicDeployerManager.deploy(BasicDeployerManager.java:69)
      at org.jboss.wsf.container.jboss42.ArchiveDeployerHook.deploy(ArchiveDeployerHook.java:97)
      at org.jboss.wsf.container.jboss42.DeployerInterceptor.create(DeployerInterceptor.java:79)
      at org.jboss.deployment.SubDeployerInterceptorSupport$XMBeanInterceptor.create(SubDeployerInterceptorSupport.java:180)
      at org.jboss.deployment.SubDeployerInterceptor.invoke(SubDeployerInterceptor.java:91)
      at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:88)
      at org.jboss.mx.server.AbstractMBeanInvoker.invoke(AbstractMBeanInvoker.java:264)
      at org.jboss.mx.server.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:659)
      at org.jboss.mx.util.MBeanProxyExt.invoke(MBeanProxyExt.java:210)
      at $Proxy46.create(Unknown Source)
      at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.create(MainDeployer.java:969)
      at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.create(MainDeployer.java:959)
      at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:818)
      at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:782)
      at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor22.invoke(Unknown Source)
      at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
      at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
      at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ReflectedDispatcher.invoke(ReflectedDispatcher.java:155)
      at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.dispatch(Invocation.java:94)
      at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.AbstractInterceptor.invoke(AbstractInterceptor.java:133)
      at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ModelMBeanOperationInterceptor.invoke(ModelMBeanOperationInterceptor.java:142)
      at org.jboss.mx.server.AbstractMBeanInvoker.invoke(AbstractMBeanInvoker.java:264)
      at $Proxy9.deploy(Unknown Source)
      at org.jboss.deployment.scanner.URLDeploymentScanner.deploy(URLDeploymentScanner.java:421)
      at org.jboss.deployment.scanner.URLDeploymentScanner.scan(URLDeploymentScanner.java:634)
      at org.jboss.deployment.scanner.AbstractDeploymentScanner$ScannerThread.doScan(AbstractDeploymentScanner.java:263)
      at org.jboss.deployment.scanner.AbstractDeploymentScanner.startService(AbstractDeploymentScanner.java:336)
      at org.jboss.system.ServiceMBeanSupport.jbossInternalStart(ServiceMBeanSupport.java:289)
      at org.jboss.system.ServiceMBeanSupport.jbossInternalLifecycle(ServiceMBeanSupport.java:245)
      at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor3.invoke(Unknown Source)
      at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
      at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ReflectedDispatcher.invoke(ReflectedDispatcher.java:155)
      at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:86)
      at org.jboss.system.ServiceController$ServiceProxy.invoke(ServiceController.java:978)
      at $Proxy0.start(Unknown Source)
      at org.jboss.system.ServiceController.start(ServiceController.java:417)
      at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor9.invoke(Unknown Source)
      at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:86)
      at $Proxy4.start(Unknown Source)
      at org.jboss.deployment.SARDeployer.start(SARDeployer.java:302)
      at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.start(MainDeployer.java:1025)
      at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:819)
      at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:782)
      at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:766)
      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
      at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.AbstractInterceptor.invoke(AbstractInterceptor.java:133)
      at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ModelMBeanOperationInterceptor.invoke(ModelMBeanOperationInterceptor.java:142)
      at $Proxy5.deploy(Unknown Source)
      at org.jboss.system.server.ServerImpl.doStart(ServerImpl.java:482)
      at org.jboss.system.server.ServerImpl.start(ServerImpl.java:362)
      at org.jboss.Main.boot(Main.java:200)
      at org.jboss.Main$1.run(Main.java:508)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

• 1. Re: Problem deploying quickstart webservice_war1

Hmm, interesting.

I took the Quickstart_webservice_war1.esb file and removed the web service war file (Quickstart_webservice_war1.war) from the .esb archive.

I then deployed the war file separately, and deployed the .esb archive separately as well.

Both of the deployments were successful, and I could run the test successfully. Hopefully this helps in diagnosing the problem. I'm betting that it has something to do with the unpacking and deploying of the .esb archive. Incidentally, when I looked in tmp12225Quickstart_webservice_war1.esb-contents, it had not completely unpacked the .esb archive (it had completely unpacked the .war file).

• 2. Re: Problem deploying quickstart webservice_war1
            tfennelly

That's interesting Andy. If you get a chance, could you try it again... If it fails, stop your AS... remove the "data", "work" and "temp" folders from your AS (service/default) and try again.

I'll have a look in a bit too.

Thanks for reporting this.

• 3. Re: Problem deploying quickstart webservice_war1

"tfennelly" wrote:
              That's interesting Andy. If you get a chance, could you try it again... If it fails, stop your AS... remove the "data", "work" and "temp" folders from your AS (service/default) and try again.

I'll have a look in a bit too.

Thanks for reporting this.

Just tried it again - rebuilt the example from a clean build. Removed "data", "work", "tmp" from server/messaging, redeployed the .esb file and ran it via "run -c messaging", and got exactly the same error message again.

Let me know if you'd like me to try other tests.

• 4. Re: Problem deploying quickstart webservice_war1
                tfennelly

OK, thanks Andy.