2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2009 3:12 AM by cedricrathgeb

aggregation based on criteria and/or time interval

abendt

Hi,

i'm trying to use the esb to aggregate multiple messages.

i'd like to be able to define a criteria and a time interval. all messages
      that are received within that interval all aggregated and the resulting message is sent to another service for further processing.

is this possible using the esb?

i looked at the aggregator example. it seems that this action
      only can aggregate messages where the number of expected messages is known in advance.

regards,
      Alphonse Bendt

• 1. Re: aggregation based on criteria and/or time interval
          abendt

"abendt" wrote:

i looked at the aggregator example. it seems that this action
          only can aggregate messages where the number of expected messages is known in advance.

The aggregator actions looks like it assumes that one of the routers (ContentBasedRouter or StaticRouter) did the splitting before?

is this assumption correct? is the aggregator also intended to be used without a router?

what happens if the aggregating service is shutdown/crashes after it has received some of the messages? does the aggregator provide any persistence support?

is the aggregator cluster aware?

• 2. Re: aggregation based on criteria and/or time interval

Hi,

You'll find the answer to your last question here :

https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/SOA-421

5.5. Aggregator and other stateful actions are not supported in a clustered environment

As mentioned throughout the Programmers Guide, high-availability services within JBossESB are currently only supported if they are stateless. The Aggregator action is a stateful instance, which necessarily means that if it is used within the Action Pipeline/Chain of a service, that service is no longer stateless and therefore cannot be used in a high-availability manner.

Best regards,