3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2009 6:57 AM by mmusgrov

JBoss never commits using UserTransaction

mauricioariel

Hi All,
      I built a simple stand-alone client who invokes an EJB3 stateless bean deployed on JbossAS 4.3.0.GA. The ejb updates de DB. And this client works fine:
      try {
      Context ctx = new InitialContext();
      BeanServiceRemote beanService = (BeanServiceRemote)ctx.lookup("jndi/BeanService");
      beanService.create();

later I changed the client to:

try {
      BeanServiceRemote beanService = (BeanServiceRemote)ctx.lookup("jndi/BeanService");
      UserTransaction tx = (UserTransaction) ctx.lookup("UserTransaction");
      tx.begin();
      beanService.create();

this client runs and finished withouth errors but the updates on the DB are never commited. I know that I can t use tx.commit() from client side because it is a different JVM, but I expected the server commits.

What is wrong with this client?

• 1. Re: JBoss never commits using UserTransaction
          mmusgrov

The context lookup for UserTransaction actually returns a proxy for the transaction running in the server so you can call tx.commit() on it.

• 2. Re: JBoss never commits using UserTransaction
            mauricioariel

"mmusgrov" wrote:
            The context lookup for UserTransaction actually returns a proxy for the transaction running in the server so you can call tx.commit() on it.

Thanks mmusgrov, that works fine.
            Now I advanced one more step obtaining the datasource by JNDI and updating the database from the client:

try {
            UserTransaction tx = (UserTransaction) ctx.lookup("UserTransaction");
            tx.begin();

DataSource ds = (DataSource) ctx.lookup("my.DataSource");
            Connection conn = ds.getConnection();
            PreparedStatement stmt = conn.prepareStatement("insert into MyTable (ID, NAME) values (1, 'name')");
            stmt.execute();

beanService.create();

tx.commit();

The problem is "tx.commit();" only commits the ejb updates, not the client updates.
            I tried adding:

conn.setAutoCommit(false);

conn.commit();

and It works but If I commit the connection, then I can 't rollback it, in case the ejb or the tx.commit() fails.
            It seems, the TransactionManager doesnt manage client updates.
            BTW, Im using JbossAS 4.3 default installation, and an Oracle xa-datasource.

• 3. Re: JBoss never commits using UserTransaction
              mmusgrov

Ah that is not a trivial task you are trying to execute. You will need to install the JTS version of the transaction service on both the client and server.

There is a link on the WIKI that goes through an example of how to do it:

https://www.jboss.org/community/docs/DOC-13179

Good look with it.