In mod_cluster 1.1.0.CR3, the default configuration contained in the sar within the distribution uses HAModClusterService by default - so you should not have to change the default configuration. I'm in the process of writing up a 1.0.x -> 1.1.x migration guide. In summary:
* Do not try to use an old 1.0.x mod-cluster-jboss-beans.xml configuration file with the 1.1.0 jar file version. They are not compatible.
* Remove the mod_cluster <Listener> from $JBOSS_HOME/server/<profile>/deploy/jbossweb.sar/server.xml. This is no longer needed.
* You can still define an explicit jvmRoute in server.xml, but it is no longer necessary as one will be auto-generated using the configured JvmRouteFactory. By default, the jboss.mod_cluster.jvmRoute system property is consulted, and if undefined, a UUID is used.
* Remove any explicit dependency on mod_cluster (e.g. <depends>ModClusterService</depends>) from $JBOSS_HOME/server/<profile>/deploy/jbossweb.sar/META-INF/jboss-beans.xml. This dependency is no longer required (nor desirable). Instead, the ModClusterListener bean depends on the WebServer bean.
So, if I understand you correct, then it defaults to HA now and you no longer have to explicitly set it as in:
<bean name="WebServer" class="org.jboss.web.tomcat.service.deployers.TomcatService">
<!-- ... -->
<!--<depends>ModClusterService</depends>--><!-- Non-clustered mode -->
<depends>HAModClusterService</depends><!-- Clustered mode -->
<!-- ... -->
If that is the case, how would you run it in non-clustered mode? (Should the need arise)
Perhaps I was not clear the first time (see point #4 above). jbossweb.sar's jboss-beans.xml file should no longer contain *any* mod_cluster related dependency. Instead, the ModClusterListener bean (from mod_cluster-jboss-beans.xml) will contain a <depends>WebServer</depends>. In your attached file, you have this commented out.
I removed the dependency from the server.xml file in the jbossweb.sar.
So, I just want to make sure I understand:
1) There is no longer a need to modify jbossweb as the dependency should be handled by mod_cluster itself
2) It is defaulted to run HA
Is this correct?
1 of 1 people found this helpful
To answer your questions:
1) Correct. There are no longer any changes required to files within jbossweb.sar to get mod_cluster to work. There are only a couple reasons why you may want to touch server.xml, though these are optional:
a) to change the default load balance factor calculation interval (via the backgroundProcessorDelay attribute of the Engine element)
b) to give the jvmRoute a meaningful name without resorting to setting a system property.
2) In the mod_cluster distribution, yes. In the upcoming AS6 release, mod_cluster will be included by default. In the "all" profile, mod_cluster will use HA mode. In the "default" profile, however, mod_cluster will use non-HA mode, since this profile does not include AS clustering features.
One of the goals for mod_cluster 1.1.x was improving ease of use/configuration. The idea was to allow mod_cluster to run out-of-the-box, without any configuration changes to any other modules. We're also in the process of migrating our documentation to subversion along side the source code. In the end, this should eliminate some of the confusion around how to configure which version. This will all be in place before the final release of 1.1.0.