Anyone had the time to look at the testcase?
I believe this was a bug fixed in TRUNK some weeks/months back.
Always worth looking in JIRA and trying with TRUNK before posting.
As I already wrote, I tested it with trunk.
I don't want to be rude, but the given JIRA ticket has nothing todo with exceptions. I provided a testcase and tested it against the trunk version without success. I don't know what I can do more than this.
In fact after 3-4 days integrating hornetq with our product, as a replacement for JBM, we have decided to keep JBM. Although it hasn't such nice features as large message support, it seems more stable than hornetq. We'll come back later to it maybe when it's officially shipped with JBoss 6 then.
Thanks for you support anyway!
Wow, you are very demanding!
You posted an issue two days ago and you expect it to be investigated immediately?
Should we drop everything we are doing and immediately rush to look at this issue?
Remember you're getting this for *free* so don't be needy, be humble.
We have a very small team for such a complex project.
And BTW, even if you had actually paid for a support contract, you wouldn't even get a turnaround as quick as this.
Perhaps you are more used to dealing with IBM/Oracle or another proprietary provider? When you pay for something I guess you have at least some rights to demand action.
I was actually going to look at this issue this morning, now I'm not so sure!
And, BTW, HornetQ is already shipped by default with JBoss AS 6.
Also, please supply a deployable MDB if you want someone to look at it.
Sorry, don't get me wrong.
I honor all the work that is done in open source projects! Without it, development of large
projects would take years and would cost a lot more!
You've done a big jump from JBM to HornetQ - that's a fact, And the features are very nice, like I said.
I just wanted to know if someone had the time to look at this. If not, it's no big deal. But since our project
comes to a deadline, we have to make decisions. And one decision has been made to keep JBM - for now.
That's no critisim that you're not working fast enough - your support is fast and excellent. It's just OUR deadline
that has been reached. That's all. Please, don't take it personally!
But saying "try trunk" - although we've tried it with trunk, pointing to a fixed issue - that don't really match our problem,
could have made my writing demanding .
So don't hurry - we had to made the decision 2 days ago - and we did.
BTW: yes, but it's M5 AFAIK - not production ready.
Like I say, if you want someone to look at this, please attach something we can actually deploy