2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2012 8:30 PM by bingo_bob

JBoss tries to put application properties file in /

bingo_bob

Being new to JBoss, and fairly new to the Linux environment, I've probably forced Google to build an extra nuclear plant to keep up with me by now. Despite this, there is still one issue that I fail to solve and am now hoping to tap the infinite wisdom of the JBoss Community for some advice.

JBoss seem determined to put application properties files in /, not JBOSS_HOME/ or user home dir or anything that could make sense, but the root dir. I've tried to make it work both as my regular user, as a designated jboss user and as root. The only one to succeed in running the applications is of course root, since root is the only one with write privileges to /. The same problem occurs with both IceScrum and JAMWiki, so I'm failry sure it is not an application specific problem. Anyone got any advice on how to solve this?

Thanks

Matt

• 1. Re: JBoss tries to put application properties file in /
          jaikiran

Welcome to the forums!

bingo_bob wrote:

JBoss seem determined to put application properties files in /, not JBOSS_HOME/ or user home dir or anything that could make sense, but the root dir. I've tried to make it work both as my regular user, as a designated jboss user and as root.

Which version of JBoss AS is this? JBoss AS by itself does not write out any properties files. What application have you deployed on the server? I guess it's the application which is writing out the file. Do you have access to the code for that application? If yes, could you post the relevant code which tries to write out the file?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: JBoss tries to put application properties file in /
            bingo_bob

Thank you for your quick reply. After a bit of soul searching, and a lot of source code searching, I have found that I was a bit unlucky with my selected applications. ClassLoaders seem to be a bit of an issue when moving to JBoss 7. Anyhow, an ugly hack got JAMWiki running for now on JBoss and since I'm not using IceScrum for production I'll just let it run on an internal Tomcat 6 until it get fixed.

A bit worrying though is the fact that after trying to enable IceScrum (which failed) I had to restart JBoss to be able to remove it using the web deployment interface.