6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2008 10:37 AM by hubaghdadi

Seam comparison matrix for application servers?

seamwannabe

Hi,

I’m confused about choosing an application server for Seam.

Yuan and Heute

...let's emphasize that JBoss AS is by far the best server to run Seam applications. We do not recommend that you run production Seam applications in plain Tomcat.

http://www.seamframework.org/Documentation/GettingStarted

Seam was designed to be application container agnostic...

http://dvdstore.demo.jboss.com/home.seam

Is on Tomcat/5.5.17

Is there a feature/benefit matrix of some of the more popular choices?

Thanks in advance,
      Adam.

• 1. Re: Seam comparison matrix for application servers?
          jbalunas.jbalunas.jboss.org

There is no specific feature/benifit comparison matrix of containers and seam.  Each container will have its own quirks and features that you may like or need.  Seam should work with them as described in the documentation.

I'm not sure when the quote you have from Yuan, and Heute is from (book? blog?) - could you provide a link?  I am almost certain that information is for older versions of Seam, or before the full integration chapters were written.

Starting with Seam 2.0.1 we have added detailed reference guide chapters on integration with the major containers and will continue to add more as time permits.

Please take a look at the reference guide and the integration chapters.  The only one that has a real blocker is Weblogic - it has an issue with varargs in EJBs, and there is a work around for that and a patch from BEA if you are a customer.

Hope this helps - and if you have specific questions on containers please post them?

-Jay

• 2. Re: Seam comparison matrix for application servers?
            msystems

I’m confused about choosing an application server for Seam.

I will help you :-) Go for JBoss AS. JBoss AS is easy to install and to use. And JBoss Seam is a first-class citizen on JBoss AS.

My second choice of app. server would be GlassFish - looks like Sun is doing a great job with GlassFish.

But as you know, Seam is designed to work with different app. servers: ServersAndContainers

• 3. Re: Seam comparison matrix for application servers?
              seamwannabe

Hi Jay,

JBoss(R) Seam: Simplicity and Power Beyond Java(TM) EE (Prentice Hall JBoss) (Paperback)
              by Michael Juntao Yuan (Author), Thomas Heute (Author)

Chapter 25 page 334.

Thanks,
              Adam.

• 4. Re: Seam comparison matrix for application servers?
                seamwannabe

Hi Kenneth,

thanks for responding.

Jboss is easy to install and use. So is Tomcat. I use both.

I’m interested in additional detail for the following statement:

Seam is a first-class citizen on JBoss AS.

Thank you,
                Adam.

• 5. Re: Seam comparison matrix for application servers?
                  msystems

Yes, Tomcat is also okay, but if you need EJB3 (yes, I know you can use JBoss embedded EJB3) why not choose an app. server with the best EJB3 and JPA support (Hibernate) - of course this is my subjective opinion :-)

I was also a hardcore Tomcat fan in the EJB2 (I hated EJB2) days, but with the 'lightweight' model of EJB3 and JPA I really can't argument against JBoss AS. An app. server also gives you webservices, mail, clustering etc. from day one.

I think Seam is a first-class citizen on JBoss AS, because it's developed by people from JBoss :-) They know JBoss AS 100% (okay, maybe not 100%, but they know JBoss AS better than GlassFish, WebLogic, WebSphere etc. :-)) and have first-class support from others JBoss developers (they are working after all in the same company :-)). Seam is also tested on JBoss AS first and it should not be a surprise that the Seam developers are using JBoss AS when they are developing Seam.

I have worked with WebLogic and WebSphere, and the problem with these app. servers are the price, complexity, closed source, support and size. With JBoss (AS, Seam, Hibernate etc.) you have open source, great support, a big user community (just look at this forum) and some hardcore and clever (and some times arrogant - but I can handle it :-)) developers.

• 6. Re: Seam comparison matrix for application servers?
                    hubaghdadi

JBoss AS looks overkill to the people how already investing in WebLogic or WebShpere.