12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2009 5:53 PM by jgaudet

WebSphere Seam Users Unite

grettke_spdr

Hi folks,

If you are a Seam on WebSphere user and would like to chat with other folks running Seam on WebSphere either post here or send me an email: grettke at spiderlogic dot com.

Right now we are seemingly going at this alone, but it doesn't have to be that way!

• 1. Re: WebSphere Seam Users Unite
          jbalunas.jbalunas.jboss.org

Hello,

What problems are having with Seam on websphere? 

I did the interop work and reference guide for seam/websphere integration and if you are having issues please let me know.  I won't claim to be a Websphere guru - but I worked through the issues and might be able to help.

I certainly would like hearing from other websphere users though :)

Thanks,
          -Jay

• 2. Re: WebSphere Seam Users Unite
            grettke_spdr

Jay Balunas wrote on Feb 28, 2008 10:18 PM:

I did the interop work and reference guide for seam/websphere integration and if you are having issues please let me know.  I won't claim to be a Websphere guru - but I worked through the issues and might be able to help.

First, sorry for the poorly phrased post.

What I meant was "We who use Seam on WebSphere are a few and far between". It could certainly be construed as "We are alone because none of the Seam maintainers care about us". That is most certainly not the case. Case in point:

http://seamframework.org/Community/ThanksSoMuchForResolvingTheseJiraTasks

Thanks for doing such a good job Jay.

• 3. Re: WebSphere Seam Users Unite
              grettke_spdr

I certainly would like hearing from other websphere users though :)

That was my goal for the post, just to try and get folks using Seam on WAS a little organized since we will all probably be facing the same problems.

For example when you wrote in the installation guide that WAS is a little finicky and requires restarts, well, you weren't kidding.

• 4. Re: WebSphere Seam Users Unite
                grettke_spdr

What problems are having with Seam on websphere? 

I got the JPA Booking example up and running successfully. The only problem was that WAS didn't want to initialize the Ajax4Jsf libraries, a restart fixed that.

I am working on the JEE5 Booking example right now. The only problem I ran into is a NoClassDefFoundError for EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.ConcurrentReaderHashMap. I found that class in thirdparty-all.jar but not in the support jars, so I'm going to try a deploy that includes thirdparty-all.jar before I post about this.

• 5. Re: WebSphere Seam Users Unite

Thanks for the comments above!!

Check out the latest docs from the trunk (i'm always trying to improve them).  I made some changes at the beginning of the month because of that problem.

By adding in the

jboss-archive-browsing.jar

This error can be avoided.

• 6. Re: WebSphere Seam Users Unite
                    grettke_spdr

Jay Balunas wrote on Feb 28, 2008 10:55 PM:

By adding in the

jboss-archive-browsing.jar

Cool I will make that change tomorrow.

I checked out trunk and built the documents. I see that you also removed a reference to concurrent.jar, is that Seam 2.1 thing, in other words, we don't need to care about it re 2.0.1?

• 7. Re: WebSphere Seam Users Unite

That was actually a bug in the docs :(

What I found was that some example needed the concurrent.jar and others did not.  The difference was that is jboss-archive-browsing.jar was installed the concurrent.jar was not needed. 

I'm looking into the details on that, but let me know if you have any issue.

• 8. Re: WebSphere Seam Users Unite
                        grettke_spdr

Jay Balunas wrote on Feb 29, 2008 02:47 PM:

I wouldn't say that I have issues, but maybe WAS does hahaha.

I made the change and kept getting an error that the Apache xml parser was not compatible with the Sun xml parser definition. Man, it didn't make any sense. The solution? (and I'm not sure how to capture this in a document, it probably isn't worth capturing):

Uninstall the app and re install it (versus an update).

I followed the directions and it works fine.

Thanks for the great docs.

• 9. Re: WebSphere Seam Users Unite
                          grettke_spdr

Jay Balunas wrote on Feb 29, 2008 02:47 PM:

I will. The next big thing (other than writing the app, how hard can it be? ahahha) will be exposing Seam/EJB's over their remote interfaces for use by the IBM SOA feature pack.

• 10. Re: WebSphere Seam Users Unite

Exposing seam components as services would be interesting to do. 

We will probably be doing an example with JBoss SOA-P that will use the ESB services, but exposing seam components as services might be a better way to go with that example.

I'll have to think on that:)

• 11. Re: WebSphere Seam Users Unite
                              grettke_spdr

Jay I will keep you informed! :)

• 12. Re: WebSphere Seam Users Unite
                                jgaudet

I am having an issue deploying a Seam 2.1.1 pojo application on Websphere.  The error I receive is:

Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: net.sf.cglib.proxy.CallbackFilter

However, the following dependency is being included in my Maven pom:

<dependency>
                                                        <groupId>cglib</groupId>
                                                        <artifactId>cglib-nodep</artifactId>
                                                        <version>2.1_3</version>
                                                </dependency>

I can see the jar under the class loader view form the WAS Console.  The application has been successfully installed to WAS CE (Geronimo) and JBoss 4.2.3.

Any help is appreciated.