13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2008 5:30 PM by cavani

Web Beans Public Review Draft released

gavin.king

For those of you who missed it, the Web Beans public draft is out. You can get the spec here. Or, you can learn more about Web Beans from my Introduction to Web Beans guide.

There's a discussion going on at TSS. Please speak up!

:-)

• 1. Re: Web Beans Public Review Draft released
          gavin.king

I've also written up my thoughts on the discussions going on with the EE 6 platform expert group.

• 2. Re: Web Beans Public Review Draft released
            rdelaplante

Will I be able to use Seam 2.1 Security with WebBeans early access RI?

• 3. Re: Web Beans Public Review Draft released
              nickarls

Security etc is not in the scope of Web Beans, it's for frameworks built on top. But it is pretty safe to say that there will be a 2.1-style system for Seam 3. But that's getting ahead of things a bit ;-)

• 4. Re: Web Beans Public Review Draft released
                gavin.king

Once we get the RI into beta, we will start porting Seam2 functionality to the Web Beans backbone. The goal is to release several packages that work portably against all JSR-299 implementations. I imagine that security will be one of the first off the blocks, since we're kinda proud of that one ;-)

There will also be full interoperability between Seam2 and Web Beans.

• 5. Re: Web Beans Public Review Draft released
                  nickarls

Gavin King wrote on Nov 12, 2008 08:11:

So outjection will be ported also?

• 6. Re: Web Beans Public Review Draft released
                    gavin.king

Nicklas Karlsson wrote on Nov 12, 2008 11:33:

So outjection will be ported also?

Outjection in the strict sense of Seam just doesn't quite make sense in the Web Beans injection model, since there is no really well-defined notion of a contextual variable. However, it's been proposed on the Web Beans EG that we support @Produces fields, which would amount to more or less the same thing. I'm not sure that this will make it into Web Beans 1.0, but I think we should definitely support it as an experimental feature in the RI.

However, the interoperability with Seam2 simply means that Seam2 and Web Beans could run side-by-side and inject each others components. So there's no porting effort involved.

• 7. Re: Web Beans Public Review Draft released
                      rdelaplante

Once we get the RI into beta, we will start porting Seam2 functionality to the Web Beans backbone. The goal is to release several packages that work portably against all JSR-299 implementations. I imagine that security will be one of the first off the blocks, since we're kinda proud of that one ;-)

Can you give me a ballpark idea when the WebBeans RI beta might be done so you start working on making Seam Security work with WebBeans backbone?  December? February? May? 

I'm itching to start a personal project using JSF 2.0, WebBeans, EJB 3.1 and JPA 2.0 since early access releases of these are mostly available now. However Seam Security will be integral and I'm getting the impression I should just write it using Seam 2.1 for now then change everything over to WebBeans when I can use Seam Security with WebBeans. It will be interesting to see if Seam 2.1 works with EJB 3.1 and JSF 2.0 early access in GlassFish.

• 8. Re: Web Beans Public Review Draft released
                        gavin.king

Ryan de Laplante wrote on Nov 13, 2008 06:29:

Can you give me a ballpark idea when the WebBeans RI beta might be done so you start working on making Seam Security work with WebBeans backbone?  December? February? May? 

It's really a question for Pete, but more like Feb, I imagine.

I'm itching to start a personal project using JSF 2.0, WebBeans, EJB 3.1 and JPA 2.0 since early access releases of these are mostly available now. However Seam Security will be integral and I'm getting the impression I should just write it using Seam 2.1 for now then change everything over to WebBeans when I can use Seam Security with WebBeans. It will be interesting to see if Seam 2.1 works with EJB 3.1 and JSF 2.0 early access in GlassFish.

I think you should start with something that exists today :-)

• 9. Re: Web Beans Public Review Draft released
                          cavani

Hi,

Web Beans are receiving much attention in last weeks. Many doubts are been answered in blogs articles and in comments.

Today I was reading about JBoss Microcontainer and trying to figure out the intersection with Web Beans (right now, seems to me very equal in approach but very distinct in purpose).

This is the kind of question I would like ask in an Web Beans forum.

SeamFramework.org already host WB RI and seems to be the right place for this user level of question / and forum, right?

Thanks,

• 10. Re: Web Beans Public Review Draft released
                            pmuir

Gavin King wrote on Nov 13, 2008 17:14:

Ryan de Laplante wrote on Nov 13, 2008 06:29:

It's really a question for Pete, but more like Feb, I imagine.

Thats what I was thinking to.

• 11. Re: Web Beans Public Review Draft released
                              gavin.king

Hi, I'm not clear on exactly what the question is...

• Microcontainer is more geared toward hosting infrastructure, with an emphasis upon deployment lifecycle, classloading, monitoring, management, OSGi, etc - it's a true container - however, it doesn't provide such an elegant programming model as Web Beans, and is not a JCP standard

• Web Beans is for application objects, and certain types of framework code within an application - it's not a true container because it doesn't have its own classloaders, doesn't address the management problem, etc

Microcontainer is most interesting at deployment time. Web Beans is most interesting at development time.

• 12. Re: Web Beans Public Review Draft released
                                gavin.king

A few thoughts on our plans for Seam3.

• 13. Re: Web Beans Public Review Draft released
                                  cavani

The question is not yet clear to me ether.

My understanding follows your highlights, but I see both as an attempt to get together heterogeneous elements (systems, services and other stuffs) using dependency injection, contexts (maybe not the same meaning), simple beans and even events. Including integration with Guice and Spring.

Although Web Beans is target to Java EE (for application development), there is intention to Java SE support with a lite container. This opens the possibility to use Web Beans as an infrastructural component, right?

Anyway, there is no reason to use Web Beans to implement an AS nether use MC to implement an online store, but I think it is more gray when I need simplicity and elegance in contrast with generality and infrastructure support.

Thanks,