2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2009 5:52 AM by norman

JBoss Seam Problems and Bug's

isaac01

Hi all community, I'm an PO Consultancy Services Architect, Actually, I'm using the last GA version of SEAM on the Development of a huge project for the government in Mexico. We decide to use SEAM for some reasons.

First. The most important reason for using SEAM was the time, we deal that using SEAM we could deliver the project on needed time.

Second. We are enthusiasts of Java Server Faces and we believe in component oriented frameworks and domain model object oriented programing, so we guess that SEAM complies with all that features.

But.... There are a lot of things that really disappointed us.

There are so many bugs when integrating SEAM with richfaces (rich:Combobox, and rich:PickList pincipally), also the performance in an production environment SEAM underwhelmed all my expectations.
      I think the Home mechanism, is not the best way to persist domain object model.

Testing mechanism is bat too, I didn't find how to meke unit tests with context subset.

Well I hope to this project to be better in a short future but now I really miss SpringFramework.

• 1. Re: JBoss Seam Problems and Bug's

I have done two major projects with SEAM and Richfaces. I have to tell you that my first project was a nightmare. Bugs in Richfaces, browser compatibility issues were the nasty things. Learning curve on top of it made it worst, which of course cannot be avoided.

In current project we are working with SEAM 2.1.1.GA and Richfaces 3.3.0.GA. It works pretty well for us. We have used rich:PickList in couple of places without any issues. If it is not working for you, please post it in Richfaces forum. It might be a bug in your code or you might reveal a new bug richfaces.

Please voice your concerns about Seam Application Framework(home, list and controller). Please share information as why this might not be the best approach. I used application framework in one project which tremendously reduced the development time and I developed a persistence layer with hibernate 3.x in an other project. No major issues.

I used TestNG with Seam but haven't really gotten to the bottom of it. So, I will let others comment on it.

About performance Dan Allen wrote a nice article and gave some insights. Please check this link

• 2. Re: JBoss Seam Problems and Bug's
            norman

I used application framework in one project which tremendously reduced the development time and I developed a persistence layer with hibernate 3.x in an other project. No major issues.

I would argue that the application framework controllers are one of the most compelling features of Seam.