2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2009 12:24 AM by plugtree

Bulletin Board Style Messages

Hi. My company is currently evaluating solutions for a problem set that I don't believe has been addressed yet. We are currently looking at HornetQ for a variety of reasons and I have a question relating to our problem set and was wondering if a HornetQ guru could help us out.

We are looking to use a messaging solution wherein we can post messages to a topic (or queue) and have the message persist even after it has been consumed. This is more akin to a bulletin board style of messaging. The messages would be persisted (as in a durable queue/message) and we would utilize the "Last-Value" queue functionality to ensure that only the most up-to-date content was in the messages.

Is this functionality currently existent in the HornetQ?

If not, we are willing to look at adding such functionality, but perhaps could use a little guidance as to a "Best" approach for modifying HornetQ to perform something like this.

To restate our requirement:

We want to create a durable "Last Value" queue wherein messages persist even after being consumed so that a client can re-connect at a later time and re-read any/all messages that are currently in the queue or that subsequent (different) clients can connect and subscribe to the topic and then read the messages (sort of like having a bulletin board and having someone come along and read the postings, then go do some other chores, then come back to the bulletin board and re-read the notices).

Please forgive me ignorance on messaging systems, and thanks for any help or guidance you could provide.

• 1. Re: Bulletin Board Style Messages
          timfox

I'm not sure I understand your requirements fully, but the standard JMS API has something called a QueueBrowser which enables you to browse the messages in a queue without consuming them. This only works in JMS for queues.

In HornetQ, on the core API we also allow you to browse (view without acknowledging) messages on any queue - e.g. a topic subscription.

• 2. Re: Bulletin Board Style Messages

Sentinel, perhaps your requirement is more suited to an RSS or Atom feed?

PlugTree