2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2012 3:06 PM by jtkim

EAR migration problem: NoClassDefFoundError despite setting Class-Path

jtkim

I have an EAR that is deployable / operable in AS5 but I can't seem to get it to work in AS7. The EAR contains a plain vanilla jar and an ejbjar. A session bean in the ejbjar uses a class provided by the plain vanilla jar, but that results in failures, caused by a ClassNotFoundException. As far as I understand https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/AS7/Class+Loading+in+AS7, the ejbjar needs to declare its dependency on the plain vanilla jar using a Class-Path entry in its manifest. I've added that, but to no avail. So I've produced a minimal EAR that reproduces the problem hoping to stumble into the solution in this process, but no such luck -- so here goes:

The EAR contains

clp.ear

+- clp.jar

+- clp.war

+- jarmodule.jar

+- META-INF

+- MANIFEST.MF

+- application.xml

clp.jar is the ejbjar, containing:

clp.jar

+ clp

| +- ejb

|    +- session

|       +- DemoSessionBean.class

|       +- DemoSession.class

+ META-INF

+- MANIFEST.MF

where MANIFEST.MF contains

Manifest-Version: 1.0

Class-Path: jarmodule.jar

Created-By: 1.6.0_27 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)

So I expect the class jarmodule.Blah from jarmodule.jar to be available, so in my DemoSessionBean there should not be any problem with the method sayBlah:

import jarmodule.*;

@Stateless
      @Remote(DemoSession.class)
      public class DemoSessionBean implements DemoSession, Serializable
      {
        private static final long serialVersionUID = 1;

public void sayBlah()
        {
          Blah blah = new Blah();
          blah.blah();
        }
      }

However, invoking this method results in

00:54:21,394 ERROR [org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[jboss.web].[default-host].[/clpdemo].[welcome]] (http--127.0.0.1-8080-1) Servlet.service() for servlet welcome threw exception: javax.ejb.EJBException: Unexpected Error
      Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: jarmodule/Blah
      Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: jarmodule.Blah from [Module "deployment.clp.ear.clp.jar:main" from Service Module Loader]

So, can anyone please direct my unfocused gaze towards the core of this problem, and towards its solution? I attach an archive containing the minimal example and a script for building the ear for you to examine, in case I've managed to omit the key detail in my posting above.

Thanks in advance, Jan