9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2012 1:57 AM by hchiorean

ModeShape 3.0 Release date

badr

Hi,

I'm planning to upgrade to Modeshape 3.0 and  wondering if somebody have any idea about the final release date or something about the modeshape 3 roadmap release

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: ModeShape 3.0 Release date
          rhauch

We're working on the 3.0.0.Alpha5 release (as I type this), so look for it in a few hours. All in all, even Alpha5 is really close to being feature complete and we're already passing almost all of the JSR-283 TCK, so Alpha5 should be a good point to start giving 3.0 a whirl.

Our criteria for Beta1 was being feature complete, so with only a few small features left we hope that our next release can be 3.0.0.Beta1. After that it's a matter of fixing issues and releasing another Beta every few weeks. My goal is that we can stabilize everything (including doing some performance analysis) before a 3.0.0.Final release in the middle of July.

Hope that information helps!

BTW, any chance you could share your use case and the set of features you're interested in?

Best regards,

Randall

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: ModeShape 3.0 Release date
            badr

Twitter helped me also to get the answer

ModeShape @modeshape

@badrelhouari ModeShape 3.0.0.Alpha5 planned for today. Hope Beta1 (feature complete) follows shortly, w/ 1-2 more betas ~2weeks, then final

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: ModeShape 3.0 Release date
              badr

Thank you Randall for this information and really hoped to get it before middle of July

I will try to share with you some features/improvement we need so you can plan them later

Kindest regards,

BEL

• 4. Re: ModeShape 3.0 Release date
                badr

Hi Randall,

I'm wondering for some features: Federated repo, Clone feature and Infinispan GridFileSystem support.

Thanks in advance

• 5. Re: ModeShape 3.0 Release date
                  rhauch

I'm wondering for some features: Federated repo.

Great. The federated stuff will be in 3.1. (If we keep it in 3.0, then the 3.0 date would have to slip more. The calendar time is roughly the same ... in mid-fall.)

Clone feature

To which clone feature are you referring?

and Infinispan GridFileSystem support.

By Infinispan GridFileSystem support, do you mean the ability to store binaries there? That might make 3.0; if not then definitely 3.1. 

Or do you mean being able to access an Infinispan GridFileSystem via a connector, treating the files and folders on the GridFileSystem as 'nt:file' and 'nt:folder' nodes? That is related to federation, so I'd guess 3.1.

• 6. Re: ModeShape 3.0 Release date
                    badr

About clone I means the method clone(srcWorkspace, srcAbsPath, destAbsPath, removeExisting); in the class  javax.jcr.Workspace because I guess it is not implemented yet!

for GridFileSystem, i was just trying to know if there was a way to declare the repository infinispan storage mode as a GridFileSystem

To be able to make it readable: https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Grid+File+System

thanks

• 7. Re: ModeShape 3.0 Release date
                      rhauch

Ah, workspace clone will be done by 3.0 (Beta1 or Beta2).

I'm not sure how well it'd work to store content on a GridFileSystem. It wouldn't be very efficient, plus ModeShape doesn't really organize it's data using files and folders. Basically, it'd be a big folder plus at least one file per node - which is why it won't really scale or perform well.

We do want to integrate GridFileSystem so that we can store binaries in it, and once we have federation we'll want to have a connector to access the (files and folders) already in a GridFileSystem store.

• 8. Re: ModeShape 3.0 Release date
                        badr

Thanks for your replies and your recommendations.

So we will try to use pure JCR 2.0 implementaion with Modshape and wait other feature in upcomming version

Regards

• 9. Re: ModeShape 3.0 Release date
                          hchiorean

Workspace.clone is implemented and should be present in Alpha 5.