2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2012 12:51 PM by Lars Hedman RSS

    Seam 2.3 migration - problem with f:converter as s:convertEntity workaround

    Lars Hedman Newbie

      Hi,

      I am working on converting a seam 2.2 application to seam 2.3 (CR1-SNAPSHOT). I'm having trouble with the proposed workaround for s:convertEntity (JBOSS-4955). I use the converters in an conversational context. This is my (simplified code) where I replaced s:convertEntity with f:converter:

       

      <h:form>

         <h:inputText value="#{article.bid}"/>

         ...  

         <h:selectOneMenu value="#{article.articleGroup}">

            <s:selectItems value="#{allArticleGroups.resultList}" var="ag"

                           label="#{ag.bid} #{ag.name}"

                           noSelectionLabel="Please select article group"/>

            <!--s:convertEntity/-->

            <f:converter converterId="org.jboss.seam.ui.EntityConverter"/>

         </h:selectOneMenu>

         ...

         <h:commandButton action="#{articleManager.cancelEdit()}"

                          immediate="true"

                          value="Cancel"/>

         <h:commandButton action="#{articleManager.update()}"

                          value="Save"/>

      </h:form>

       

      This code is working in Seam 2.2 ( both with s:convertEntity and f:converter ). When used in Seam 2.3 the page loads but when the form is posted ( both update AND cancelEdit ) I get the following error:

       

      17:22:03,452 WARNING [javax.enterprise.resource.webcontainer.jsf.lifecycle] (http--127.0.0.1-8080-1) /core/_articlePanel_e.xhtml @17,74 value="#{article.bid}": Target Unreachable, identifier 'article' resolved to null: javax.el.PropertyNotFoundException: /core/_articlePanel_e.xhtml @17,74 value="#{article.bid}": Target Unreachable, identifier 'article' resolved to null

       

      The component 'article' is still present in the conversation scope which I can verify in the dubug.seam page. If I remove the f:converter tag ( so there is no converter at all ) the 'cancelEdit' call will work as expected and the 'update' call will not generate the above error either ( but of course give a data validate error ).

       

      So there is a problem when f:converter is present. I do not understand the root cause of this, but the effect seems to be that the conversation scope is left so that the conversation scoped components are not reachable.

       

      I'm grateful for all help with this.