8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2013 6:57 AM by tenzor

Installing SwitchYard 1.0 SNAPSHOT into JBoss EAP 6.1.0

archsynthe

My development group is eagerly awaiting the release of the JBoss SOA-P 6, which we have heard is going to be based on JBoss EAP 6.1.0 and SwitchYard 1.0.  To get on a jumpstart on development, I tried downloading the latest switchyard-installer from https://hudson.jboss.org/hudson/job/SwitchYard-Release/874/ and installing it into the JBoss 6.1.0 EAP release.  I wanted to point out a few of the issues:

• The installer modifies $EAP_HOME/domain/configuration/domain.xml and $EAP_HOME/standalone/configuration/standalone.xml, adding the line <extension xmlns="" module="org.switchyard"/> to each.  The configuration parser does not like the blank xmlns definition, so this needs to be removed by hand before starting up the server.
      • If you choose to install the BPEL console, the installer will try to download it from http://downloads.jboss.org/switchyard/releases/v1.0.SNAPSHOT/switchyard-tools-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.zip which is not publicly accessible (either that or the artifact doesn't exist at that location, it's hard to tell).

Other than that, everything appears to work well.  After removing the extraneous xmlns from the configs and declining the BPEL console install, JBoss EAP 6.1.0 will start up and load the switchyard services without complaint.

Has anyone found a way to install the BPEL console properly?

• 1. Re: Installing SwitchYard 1.0 SNAPSHOT into JBoss EAP 6.1.0
          archsynthe

Update: I was able to get the BPEL console and JBoss Forge tooling installed by separately downloading the switchyard-tools.zip file from hudson and placing in the unpacked switchyard-installer-1.0/res/ directory.  If it finds that file locally, the installer will not try to load it from the empty URL mentioned previously.

• 2. Re: Installing SwitchYard 1.0 SNAPSHOT into JBoss EAP 6.1.0
            kcbabo

Thanks for the feedback and posting results back into the forum for others to find. 

Re: the switchyard-tools download, there's a line in installer.properties which can be uncommented to update the URL to nightlies:

# Update this property if you would like to use a different version of the
            # SwitchYard tools.
            switchyard.tools.url=http://downloads.jboss.org/switchyard/releases/v1.0.SNAPSHOT/switchyard-tools-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.zip

# For nightly builds, we use the following setting :
            # (Please remove before release)
            #switchyard.tools.url=https://hudson.jboss.org/hudson/job/SwitchYard-Release/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/tools/dist/target/switchyard-tools.zip

To get a nightly of tools, comment out the first property and uncomment the second.

I'm not seeing the empty namespace issue on the org.switchyard extension using the latest nightly installer.  Can you post a few details about your environment:

- Which version of EAP 6.1 are you using (alpha, beta, GA)?

- What OS?

- Which versions of Java and Ant?

You can also find a switchyard-distribution.zip on the nightly build site which can be unzipped directly on top of an EAP 6.1 alpha install in case you want to skip the installer.

thanks,

keith

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Installing SwitchYard 1.0 SNAPSHOT into JBoss EAP 6.1.0
              archsynthe

Thanks for the additional information on the installer Keith.

With regard to your questions about my environment:

- Application Server: JBoss EAP 6.1.0 (GA) downloaded from access.redhat.com using our corporate subscription account

- Operating System: 64-bit Fedora 18 (Spherical Cow) running in VirtualBox 4.2.12 on top of Windows 7 Enterprise

- Java Version: OpenJDK 64-bit 1.7.0_19 (as compiled for fedora and retrieved via standard yum repositories)

- Ant Version: Apache Ant 1.8.4 (also installed via yum repositories for fedora)

My coworker also reported that he did not see the empty xmlns element when he followed my installation steps on his MacBook Air, but I have done the install a number of times in my environment and always get that output.

Regards,

James

• 4. Re: Installing SwitchYard 1.0 SNAPSHOT into JBoss EAP 6.1.0
                kcbabo

The good news is that the product will have a different installer. :-)  Thanks for the environment details, we will have a look here and see if we can reproduce.  I do remember the installer being sensitive to certain JAXP providers, but can't remember the exact details.

• 5. Re: Installing SwitchYard 1.0 SNAPSHOT into JBoss EAP 6.1.0
                  tcunning

James,

I've tried to reproduce the xmlns="" issue (Fedora 18, EAP 6.1.0.zip, openjdk 1.7.0_19, ant 1.8.4 installed by yum), and I've had no luck.    The only thing different is that I'm using a more recent version of the SwitchYard installer, because build #874 has cycled its way out.

Is there anything else special that you are doing here that might cause this?

--Tom

• 6. Re: Installing SwitchYard 1.0 SNAPSHOT into JBoss EAP 6.1.0
                    tenzor

This link is broken =(

http://downloads.jboss.org/switchyard/releases/v1.0.SNAPSHOT/switchyard-tools-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.zip 

I need to install SwitchYard on my JBoss EAP 6.1. (7.2.0).

Does somebody know how I can do this?

- Which version of switchyard is compatible with JBOSS AS 7.2.0?

- Where can I get this version of SY ?

Please help me. Thank you in advance.

• 7. Re: Installing SwitchYard 1.0 SNAPSHOT into JBoss EAP 6.1.0
                      kcbabo

The link is not broken, it's just configurable.  Read the thread for the solution.

SY 1.0 is compatible with EAP 6.1 and is available as a nightly right now from here:

https://hudson.jboss.org/hudson/job/SwitchYard-Release/

You can either use the installer or just grab the switchyard-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT-EAP6.1.GA.zip and unzip that inside of your EAP 6.1 GA install.

• 8. Re: Installing SwitchYard 1.0 SNAPSHOT into JBoss EAP 6.1.0
                        tenzor

You can either use the installer or just grab the switchyard-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT-EAP6.1.GA.zip and unzip that inside of your EAP 6.1 GA install.

Excuse me, how I can do that? Unzip it where?

In my $JBOSS_HOME or what? Could you please clarify this step more clearly?

Thank you!