4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2013 7:08 AM by torte

Problem with Alert Definition Templates

torte

Hello,

i have a problem with "Alert Definition Templates" in RHQ Version 4.5.1 . I don't know if anybody had this problem in the past or if it is well known.

I can't find anything in the wiki or forum and i would be very thankful for every kind of help.

I have created 2 Alerts in the "Alert Definition Template" for the Availibility of the RHQ Agent. Ok some time later i have recognized that this alert is not

working correct means not working every time for every platform. The status of the resource if its avaiable or not is ALWAYS correct.I switch off an agent

and on some Platforms there is an alert and on some not. I took a look into the Alert Definitions in reports and i was seeing that there were some alerts disabled.

I can't remeber doing that. I go direct on the platform go to rhq agent and to the alerting and the alert is not disabled. Means there is a diference between

"report -> Alert Definitions" and direct on the platform under Alerts.  Now i want to destroy this alert definition and therefore i have to go in Alert Definition Templates

but when i gon on the coresponding Alert Definition i error message is apperaing: "server returnded FAILURE with no error message"

Please let me know if i have done something compeletely wrong or if you need more information. If something is not clear described please ask. Thanks for your attention.

On top there is another error message with this for "Root Cause"

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:PageList was passed an empty collection but 'totalSize' was 3, PageControl[firstRow=25, size=50

And show details shows this:

Root Cause :

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:PageList was passed an empty collection but 'totalSize' was 3, PageControl[firstRow=25, size=50]

Detail :
      java.lang.RuntimeException:[1380034343580] javax.ejb.EJBException:java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: PageList was passed an empty collection but 'totalSize' was 3, PageControl[firstRow=25, size=50] -> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:PageList was passed an empty collection but 'totalSize' was 3, PageControl[firstRow=25, size=50]
      --- STACK TRACE FOLLOWS ---
      [1380034343580] javax.ejb.EJBException:java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: PageList was passed an empty collection but 'totalSize' was 3, PageControl[firstRow=25, size=50] -> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:PageList was passed an empty collection but 'totalSize' was 3, PageControl[firstRow=25, size=50]
         at Unknown.anonymous(Unknown Source)

Let me give you a resume of the problem:

- Alerts created over Alert Definition Template

- Alerting is not working correct sometime there are no alerts (but ressourvce is always marked right with available or unavailable)

- Difference in Disabled alert option for the sdame alert in "Alert Definitions and direct on the platform

- Cant reach the alerts over Alert definition Templates anymore and so cant delete them

• 1. Re: Problem with Alert Definition Templates
          mithomps

Looks like this (Phantom Reads Issue) was fixed recently (Sept 3, 2013) via: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=855674#c10

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problem with Alert Definition Templates
            torte

Thank you for the information.

• 3. Re: Problem with Alert Definition Templates
              jayshaughnessy

The already mentioned BZ issue may be relevant.  There have also been a variety of fixes regarding availability alerting with respect to recovery alert definitions.  I'm not sure that applies to you or not.

I don't think you can reach alerts via their template.  Alerts can be reached via the recent alerts portlet, the alerts report, or the resource for which the alert was generated.  Also, make sure that the alert definition was not detached from the template at the resource level.  If detached from the template the alert definition will not be affected by changes at the template level.

• 4. Re: Problem with Alert Definition Templates
                torte

Thanks for yor answer Jay. I'am not sure if i get you right. Also i think i did not describe my problem very well. Sorry for my poor english.

I know that i can't see triggered "alerts" in the "alert definition template". I want to see the alert definition and i want to delete it and this is not possible

because i receiving the error message which i have posted above. I'am sure that i have no detached the alerts from the template by editing and saving

it on a resource or whatever.