5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2006 7:51 AM by sriramp_here

Repeated Transaction Timeouts

benwalstrum

Hi everyone!

I am recieving a bunch of messages like the following in my server.log:

2004-04-22 14:04:05,437 WARN [org.jboss.tm.TransactionImpl] Transaction TransactionImpl:XidImpl [FormatId=257, GlobalId=40125dial//208545, BranchQual=] timed out. status=STATUS_ACTIVE
      2004-04-22 14:04:06,765 WARN [org.jboss.tm.TransactionImpl] Transaction TransactionImpl:XidImpl [FormatId=257, GlobalId=40125dial//208549, BranchQual=] timed out. status=STATUS_ACTIVE
      2004-04-22 14:04:07,125 WARN [org.jboss.tm.TransactionImpl] Lock contention, tx=TransactionImpl:XidImpl [FormatId=257, GlobalId=40125dial//208549, BranchQual=]
      2004-04-22 14:04:08,296 WARN [org.jboss.tm.TransactionImpl] Transaction TransactionImpl:XidImpl [FormatId=257, GlobalId=40125dial//208553, BranchQual=] timed out. status=STATUS_ACTIVE
      2004-04-22 14:04:09,156 WARN [org.jboss.tm.TransactionImpl] Transaction TransactionImpl:XidImpl [FormatId=257, GlobalId=40125dial//208557, BranchQual=] timed out. status=STATUS_ACTIVE
      2004-04-22 14:04:10,609 WARN [org.jboss.tm.TransactionImpl] Transaction TransactionImpl:XidImpl [FormatId=257, GlobalId=40125dial//208561, BranchQual=] timed out. status=STATUS_ACTIVE
      2004-04-22 14:04:11,593 WARN [org.jboss.tm.TransactionImpl] Transaction TransactionImpl:XidImpl [FormatId=257, GlobalId=40125dial//208565, BranchQual=] timed out. status=STATUS_ACTIVE
      2004-04-22 14:04:12,234 WARN [org.jboss.tm.TransactionImpl] Transaction TransactionImpl:XidImpl [FormatId=257, GlobalId=40125dial//208569, BranchQual=] timed out. status=STATUS_ACTIVE
      2004-04-22 14:04:12,515 WARN [org.jboss.tm.TransactionImpl] Transaction TransactionImpl:XidImpl [FormatId=257, GlobalId=40125dial//208573, BranchQual=] timed out. status=STATUS_ACTIVE
      2004-04-22 14:04:16,781 WARN [org.jboss.tm.TransactionImpl] Transaction TransactionImpl:XidImpl [FormatId=257, GlobalId=40125dial//208577, BranchQual=] timed out. status=STATUS_ACTIVE
      2004-04-22 14:04:19,750 WARN [org.jboss.tm.TransactionImpl] Transaction TransactionImpl:XidImpl [FormatId=257, GlobalId=40125dial//208581, BranchQual=] timed out. status=STATUS_ACTIVE
      2004-04-22 14:04:20,093 WARN [org.jboss.tm.TransactionImpl] Transaction TransactionImpl:XidImpl [FormatId=257, GlobalId=40125dial//208585, BranchQual=] timed out. status=STATUS_ACTIVE
      2004-04-22 14:04:23,140 WARN [org.jboss.tm.TransactionImpl] Transaction TransactionImpl:XidImpl [FormatId=257, GlobalId=40125dial//208589, BranchQual=] timed out. status=STATUS_ACTIVE
      2004-04-22 14:04:23,390 WARN [org.jboss.tm.TransactionImpl] Transaction TransactionImpl:XidImpl [FormatId=257, GlobalId=40125dial//208593, BranchQual=] timed out. status=STATUS_ACTIVE

Our client is using JBoss 3.2.1 on Windows 2000.

What is not shown in the log snippet above is that the server was running just fine immediately preceding these statements. These errors occur fairly repetitively for the next hour and all major processing seems to have stopped. The end users reported that they were no longer able to use the system.

I have looked through the forums and haven't seen anything to really explain this situation. A lot of the posts that I have seen seem to relate this to an OutOfMemoryException, though I have not seen one in my logs. It seems that this comes very much out of the blue.

A lot of responses to posts of this nature always say that the transactions are timing out because they are running to long. I'm not going to say that is not happening, but the problem I see is that the same type of code execution had been happening for hours on end before these exceptions occured.

So here are some general questions I have about the situation, with any help greatly appreciated:

-Is there anything in 3.2.3/3.2.4 that would help with this situation?
      -Does increasing memory help?
      -Would this be most likely caused by a problem in my database driver (I'm using Firebird/Jaybird JCA)?
      -Are there any configuration tweaks that can be done in order to tweak JBoss so that these errors are less likely to occur

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Regards,

Ben

• 1. Re: Repeated Transaction Timeouts
          apalat

Hey Ben, I had the same problem, it turned out to be the transaction timeout setting. If you are running a long running set of transactions like a batch process or many small batch process then perhaps the batches are slowing down over time, this could be caused by a datasource driver problem, a memory leak the number of inserts you are doing is making the database work harder to index, a whole bunch of possible reasons. I would check the TransactionTimeout attribute in the deploy/transaction-service.xml, the default in 3.2.1 (and I'm almost sure in the others) is 300 seconds, try changing this to 600 and see if it helps.

Hope this helps,
          Anil

• 2. Re: Repeated Transaction Timeouts
            pizzle

Did you ever find a solution to this problem???
            I am experiencing the exact same problem in JBoss 3.2.6.

Everything runs fine for a couple days and then all of a sudden, the following Warning is outputted by JBoss indicating a timeout (upon Session Bean requesting info from a JMS Queue):

[org.jboss.tm.TransactionImpl] Transaction TransactionImpl:XidImpl [FormatId=257, GlobalId=<URL>//7466714, BranchQual=] timed out. status=STATUS_ACTIVE

I have looked at my deploy/transaction-service.xml file and see the following (I am curious if the SpecCompliant attribute has anything to do with this problem):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
            <!-- $Id: transaction-service.xml,v 1.2.2.5 2003/10/05 15:37:24 starksm Exp $ -->

<server>

<!-- ==================================================================== -->
             <!-- Transactions -->

<!--
             | The CachedConnectionManager is used partly to relay started UserTransactions to
             | open connections so they may be enrolled in the new tx.
             -->
             <mbean code="org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.CachedConnectionManager"
             name="jboss.jca:service=CachedConnectionManager">
             <depends optional-attribute-name="TransactionManagerServiceName">jboss:service=TransactionManager</depends>

<!--SpecCompliant false means JBoss will close connections left open when you
             return from a method call and generate a loud warning. SpecCompliant true
             means JBoss will disconnect connection handles left open on return from a
             method call and reconnect them with an appropriate (security, tx)
             connection on the next call to the same object.-->
             <attribute name="SpecCompliant">false</attribute>

<!-- Enable connection close debug monitoring -->
             <attribute name="Debug">true</attribute>

</mbean>

</server>

• 3. Re: Repeated Transaction Timeouts
              pizzle

Did you ever find a solution to this problem???
              I am experiencing the a very similar problem in JBoss 3.2.6.

Everything runs fine for a couple days and then all of a sudden, the following Warning is outputted by JBoss indicating a timeout (upon Session Bean requesting info from a JMS Queue):

[org.jboss.tm.TransactionImpl] Transaction TransactionImpl:XidImpl [FormatId=257, GlobalId=<URL>//7466714, BranchQual=] timed out. status=STATUS_ACTIVE

I have looked at my deploy/transaction-service.xml file and see the following (I am curious if the SpecCompliant attribute has anything to do with this problem):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
              <!-- $Id: transaction-service.xml,v 1.2.2.5 2003/10/05 15:37:24 starksm Exp $ -->

<server>

<!-- Transactions -->

<!--
               | The CachedConnectionManager is used partly to relay started UserTransactions to
               | open connections so they may be enrolled in the new tx.
               -->
               <mbean code="org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.CachedConnectionManager"
               name="jboss.jca:service=CachedConnectionManager">
               <depends optional-attribute-name="TransactionManagerServiceName">jboss:service=TransactionManager</depends>

<!--SpecCompliant false means JBoss will close connections left open when you
               return from a method call and generate a loud warning. SpecCompliant true
               means JBoss will disconnect connection handles left open on return from a
               method call and reconnect them with an appropriate (security, tx)
               connection on the next call to the same object.-->
               <attribute name="SpecCompliant">false</attribute>

<!-- Enable connection close debug monitoring -->
               <attribute name="Debug">true</attribute>

</mbean>

</server>

• 4. Re: Repeated Transaction Timeouts
                pareshpg

Has anybody found the solution to this problem? Even after increasing the timeout and the resetting the SpecCompliant attribute, I am not being able to solve the problem. Jboss version is 3.2.3.
                Please help.

• 5. Re: Repeated Transaction Timeouts

You can try making the connection timeout property as 0,so that the connectio n never times out.