1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 19, 2007 7:25 AM by jstrachan

Iona Message Broker - Architecture Question

jsbournival

Hello,

I'm about to lay out an architecture involving Active MQ queueing server (Iona FUSE MB), and we need something like the message router EIP.  I managed to get in touch with James on the IRC channel, and he told me Camel was included (sort of) in the Active MQ distribution.  Good.  But then, one question popped:  is it recommended to deploy all of our « routing » code (DSL routes, beans, etc.) and resources straight in AMQ? Or is it a better practice to develop another application (Camel enabled) listening to AMQ and performing the routing stuff?

I'm leaning towards the second solution, but if you would be kind enough to share your thoughts and experience on this, I would greatly appreciate.

JS.

P.S.  Maybe a couple of wiki pages could be written explaining how to package applications using Camel and AMQ.  Just of suggestion.

• 1. Re: Iona Message Broker - Architecture Question
          jstrachan
          jsbournival wrote:

I'm about to lay out an architecture involving Active MQ queueing server (Iona FUSE MB), and we need something like the message router EIP.  I managed to get in touch with James on the IRC channel, and he told me Camel was included (sort of) in the Active MQ distribution.  Good. 

FWIW Apache ActiveMQ 5.x and later - and IONA's distribution of ActiveMQ both come with Camel integrated into the broker (there's an example EIP pattern inside the activemq.xml) as well as the JMS client - you can use CamelDestinations with the ActiveMQ client. For more info see

But then, one question popped:  is it recommended to deploy all of our « routing » code (DSL routes, beans, etc.) and resources straight in AMQ? Or is it a better practice to develop another application (Camel enabled) listening to AMQ and performing the routing stuff?

I'm leaning towards the second solution, but if you would be kind enough to share your thoughts and experience on this, I would greatly appreciate.

So its one of those 'it depends' kinda questions. There are pros and cons to both approaches. I've created a new FAQ entry for this

P.S.  Maybe a couple of wiki pages could be written explaining how to package applications using Camel and AMQ.  Just of suggestion.

Great idea!

Edited by: jstrachan on Nov 19, 2007 12:24 PM