1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 15, 2016 11:50 AM by milspec

Migration: Odd Classloading/Class problem in Wildly10

milspec

Hi all,

Problem

Wildfly 10 has a class definition/class loading problem which we never saw in Jboss4.

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: WFLYSRV0177: Error getting reflective information for class org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet with ClassLoader ModuleClassLoader for Module \"deployment.app.ear:main\" from Service Module Loader
      Caused by: java.lang.ClassFormatError: Failed to link org/apache/commons/collections/FastHashMap (Module \"deployment.app.ear:main\" from Service Module Loader): Extra bytes at the end of class file org/apache/commons/collections/FastHashMap"},

So the problem looks like a bad .class file. Fair enough

However

In order to isolate the .class file, I found the three jars that contain FastHashMap.class and wrote a small bash script to sniff it out, i..e compiling against and instantiating FastHashMap.

fwiw, here are the jars:

• commons-beanutils-1.7.0.jar
      • commons-collections-3.1.jar
      • checkstyle-all-4.2.jar

To my surprise, javac and java liked the FastHashMap.class in each of the jar files for both jdk7 and jdk8.

This makes me wonder: does wildfly load the .class file differently than 'plain old java'?

Here is the script:

#!/bin/sh

myclass=TestFastHashMap

for myjar in commons_collections_jars/*.jar

do

echo $myjar

echo javac -classpath $myjar ${myclass}.java

javac -classpath $myjar ${myclass}.java && \

echo compile ok && \

echo java -classpath "$myjar:." ${myclass} && \

java -classpath "$myjar:." ${myclass} || \

echo problem $myjar

done

Questions

• What am I missing?
      • Why does javac and java load the .class file whereas wildfly fails?
      • does wildfly load the .class file differently than 'plain old java'? [yes, i have the source code and can look myself]
      • How can I find the from which Wildfly tries to load the problem class. (I tried "-verbose:class") but because the classloader did not successfully load the class, it does not appear
      • Does Wildfly have even more classloader debugging, i.e. similar to this in jboss4?
      <category name="org.jboss.mx.loading" additivity="false">
          <priority value="TRACE" class="org.jboss.logging.XLevel"/>
          <appender-ref ref="UCL"/>
      </category>
        • 1. Re: Migration: Odd Classloading/Class problem in Wildly10
          milspec

I found the root cause.

This jar contained two copies of the class FastHashMap

checkstyle-all-4.2.jar

After taking a break from this issue, i took a fresh look at it today and wrote a quick brute-force script to find the problem class.

I stumbled across this 'duplicate class within the jar file' issue while unzipping all the jar files --the 'unzip' command complained whereas 'jar xf' did not

Why did wildfly err but jboss4 did not?

It looks like I introduced the issue in well-meaning, but ignorant error

In migrating to wildfly, I 'cleaned up' the manifest/filesystem by moving everything to 'app.ear/lib'. Wildfly would then automatically include these files, regarldess of the ejb.mf.

On our jboss-4 instance, the filesystem had this jar file, but the ejb manifest did not....considerable cruft and mismatch between the two.