1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 11, 2003 2:08 PM by juha

findByPks (java.util.Collection pks)?

zorzella

Hi,

one feature that would be extremelly useful would be to be able to have a finder method that returns a Collection, with a WHERE clause that accepts an indefinite number of PKs. Something that would allow me to do something like:

List pks = new Vector ();
      pks.add ("1");
      pks.add ("2");
      Collection c = myHome.findByPks (pks);

I believe there is already, internally, a method in JBoss that does just that. See:

2003-12-10 10:29:18,852 DEBUG [org.jboss.ejb.plugins.cmp.jdbc.JDBCLoadEntityCommand.MyBean] Executing SQL: SELECT id,name FROM MyBeans WHERE (id=?) OR (id=?) OR (id=?) OR (id=?) OR (id=?)

Note: the number of "OR"s is variable, and depends on the number of elements in the MyBeans table, limited by the configured cache size.

Exposing that as a standard "finder" would allow me, for example, to execute a "select pk FROM" query with arbitrary (dynamic) WHERE and ORDER BY clauses, and use the resulting pk collection to get all the Beans I want in a single DB hit, rather than one by one...

This does not apply just to the PK, BTW, although PKs are the most important. But I could want something like "findByWeekDays (Collection weekdays)".

Let me know,

Thanks,

Zorzella