2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2002 1:41 PM by lucvu

Deploying to root context

n_ton

Hi,

I'm trying to deploy my application to the root
      context of a JBoss 2.4.4/Catalina 4.0.3 installation.

I've tried using a META-INF/application.xml and
      naming my war file '.war'. Both show the following
      exceptions in server.log:

[INFO,AutoDeployer] Auto deploy of file:/usr/local/jboss-2.4.4/deploy/.war
      [INFO,J2eeDeployer] Deploy J2EE application: file:/usr/local/jboss-2.4.4/deploy/.war
      [INFO,J2eeDeployer] Create application .war
      [INFO,J2eeDeployer] inflate and install WEB module .war
      [INFO,ContainerFactory] Deploying:file:/usr/local/jboss-2.4.4/tmp/deploy/Default/.war
      [INFO,ContainerFactory] Deployed application: file:/usr/local/jboss-2.4.4/tmp/deploy/Default/.war
      [INFO,J2eeDeployer] Starting module .war
      [INFO,EmbeddedCatalinaServiceSX] Changing root context path from '/' to ''
      [INFO,EmbeddedCatalinaServiceSX] deploy, ctxPath=, warUrl=file:/usr/local/jboss-2.4.4/tmp/deploy/Default/.war/web1007/
      [ERROR,Default] java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: addChild: Child name '' is not unique
      [ERROR,Default] at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:779)
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default] at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:454)
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default] at org.jboss.web.catalina.EmbeddedCatalinaServiceSX.createWebContext(EmbeddedCatalinaServiceSX.java:428)
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default] at org.jboss.web.catalina.EmbeddedCatalinaServiceSX.performDeploy(EmbeddedCatalinaServiceSX.java:282)
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default] at org.jboss.web.AbstractWebContainer.deploy(AbstractWebContainer.java:191)
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default] at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default] at com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:1628)
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default] at com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:1523)
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default] at org.jboss.deployment.J2eeDeployer.startModules(J2eeDeployer.java:505)
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default] at org.jboss.deployment.J2eeDeployer.startApplication(J2eeDeployer.java:459)
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default] at org.jboss.deployment.J2eeDeployer.deploy(J2eeDeployer.java:190)
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default] at com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:1628)
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default] at com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:1523)
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default] at org.jboss.deployment.AutoDeployer.deploy(AutoDeployer.java:395)
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default] at org.jboss.deployment.AutoDeployer.run(AutoDeployer.java:233)
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default] at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,J2eeDeployer] Starting .war failed!
      [ERROR,Default] org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentException: Error during deploy, Cause: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: addChild: Child name '' is not unique
      [ERROR,Default] at org.jboss.web.AbstractWebContainer.deploy(AbstractWebContainer.java:201)
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default] at org.jboss.deployment.J2eeDeployer.startModules(J2eeDeployer.java:505)
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default] at org.jboss.deployment.J2eeDeployer.startApplication(J2eeDeployer.java:459)
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default] at org.jboss.deployment.J2eeDeployer.deploy(J2eeDeployer.java:190)
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default] at org.jboss.deployment.AutoDeployer.deploy(AutoDeployer.java:395)
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default] at org.jboss.deployment.AutoDeployer.run(AutoDeployer.java:233)
      [ERROR,Default]
      [ERROR,Default] at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
      [ERROR,Default]
      [INFO,J2eeDeployer] Module .war is not running
      [INFO,J2eeDeployer] Stopping module .war
      [INFO,ContainerFactory] Undeploying:file:/usr/local/jboss-2.4.4/tmp/deploy/Default/.war
      [INFO,ContainerFactory] Undeployed application: file:/usr/local/jboss-2.4.4/tmp/deploy/Default/.war
      [INFO,J2eeDeployer] Destroying application .war

I saw the HOWTO at thread:

http://main.jboss.org/thread.jsp?forum=61&thread=7537

and determined that I don't have a jboss-root.ear
      running. In fact, I deleted the tomcat-test.ear and
      have nothing else in the deploy directory except
      the lib dir that is included in the distribution.

Is there a hidden ear/war somewhere?

Thanx in advance.

Norton

• 1. Re: Deploying to root context
          bchi49

Do you have jboss-web.xml in your WEB-INF directory?

<jboss-web>
          <context-root>/</context-root>
          </jboss-web>

If you have that in your WEB-INF, and your web.xml also have

<context-root>/</context-root>

Then you'll have problem! I had the same problem before. Just remove it from jboss-web.xml.

• 2. Re: Deploying to root context
            lucvu

FYI

I am using JBoss_3.0.0_Tomcat_4.0.3. I have to put the context root in jboss-web.xml to make it work. It does not allow me to put context root in the web.xml.

Luc