1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2003 5:44 PM by jules

jzentry == 0

cconnelly

Is there ever going to be a fix for the "jzentry == 0" cache bug in jetty. I just downloaded jboss 3.0.2, and I am still getting this problem.

I am continually redeploying my build in order to run cactus tests. It seems like every third or fourth time I run the test everything fails and I get and error saying "jzentry == 0". Then I either have to restart, and if that doesn't fix the problem I have to delete the jetty temp files (in my system directory not in JBoss which is also anoying).

I never had these problems with JBoss/Tomcat, if there isn't a fix soon I will just switch back to JBoss/Tomcat I guess.

• 1. Re: jzentry == 0
          mroli

I second this... I *always* get this crash if I change a jar file in my web-inf/lib directory. A estart is required to fix it.

Most annoying.

Chris

• 2. Re: jzentry == 0

See the FAQ I posted yesterday in this forum.

You are probably copying a large file across a slow network.

Jules

• 3. Re: jzentry == 0
              cconnelly

I read the following entry from the the FAQ:

"Sometimes when I copy apps into .../deploy/ I get "invalid LOC header" errors
              -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is because JBoss started to read and deploy the file before the
              copy had finished. For 100% safe deployment, copy your file to a
              teporary space on the same filesystem as the deploy dir, then
              move/rename it into the deploy dir. This will be an atomic operation
              for your filesystem, so JBoss will see the whole file appear in one
              go, not a file gradually increasing in size. Alternatively, you can
              use the JMX interface to pass the url of the app that you want
              deployed - see JBoss doc."

This all makes sense, but I do not understand why this only happens when I am using Jetty and never seems to happen when I use tomcat as my container. It seems like this is a bug with Jetty and it can be fixed.

• 4. Re: jzentry == 0

Maybe Jetty is just SO FAST that it gets to the end of the file before you have finished copying it in. :-)

If the problem is caused, as I suspect, then it will affect any JBoss deployable, because it is JBoss which decides when deployment begins.

Try doing as I suggest. If the problem disappears, then this is most likely the cause and perhaps Tomcat is just slower at deploying, or your Tomcat setup impacts in some way on the problem.

If my suggestion does not resolve your problem, come back to the list with a piece of your log and a stacktrace and I will see what I can do.

Jules

• 5. Re: jzentry == 0
                  cconnelly

I changed my code to do a move rather than a copy and I just got the same problem again. Here is the stack trace:

2002-09-03 16:43:17,360 ERROR [org.jboss.deployment.scanner.URLDeploymentScanner] Failed to deploy: org.jboss.deployment.scanner.URLDeploymentScanner$DeployedURL@21ffcb3{ url=file:/C:/jboss-3.0.2/server/default/deploy/manager-cactus.ear, deployedLastModified=0 }
                  org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentException: Could not create deployment: file:/C:/jboss-3.0.2/server/default/tmp/deploy/server/default/deploy/manager-cactus.ear/66.manager-cactus.ear-contents/cm-cactus.war; - nested throwable: (java.lang.InternalError: jzentry == 0,
                  jzfile = 191786944,
                  total = 223,
                  name = C:\Documents and Settings\cconnelly\Local Settings\Temp\Jetty__8080___cm-cactus\webapp\WEB-INF\lib\config-interfaces.jar,
                  i = 44,
                  message = invalid LOC header (bad signature))
                  at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.start(MainDeployer.java:822)
                  at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.start(MainDeployer.java:794)
                  at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:616)
                  at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:580)
                  at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor9.invoke(Unknown Source)
                  at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
                  at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
                  at org.jboss.mx.capability.ReflectedMBeanDispatcher.invoke(ReflectedMBeanDispatcher.java:284)
                  at org.jboss.mx.server.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:517)
                  at org.jboss.util.jmx.MBeanProxy.invoke(MBeanProxy.java:174)
                  at $Proxy4.deploy(Unknown Source)
                  at org.jboss.deployment.scanner.URLDeploymentScanner.deploy(URLDeploymentScanner.java:427)
                  at org.jboss.deployment.scanner.URLDeploymentScanner.scanDirectory(URLDeploymentScanner.java:648)
                  at org.jboss.deployment.scanner.URLDeploymentScanner.scan(URLDeploymentScanner.java:499)
                  at org.jboss.deployment.scanner.AbstractDeploymentScanner$ScannerThread.doScan(AbstractDeploymentScanner.java:212)
                  at org.jboss.deployment.scanner.AbstractDeploymentScanner$ScannerThread.loop(AbstractDeploymentScanner.java:225)
                  at org.jboss.deployment.scanner.AbstractDeploymentScanner$ScannerThread.run(AbstractDeploymentScanner.java:202)
                  Caused by: java.lang.InternalError: jzentry == 0,
                  jzfile = 191786944,
                  total = 223,
                  name = C:\Documents and Settings\cconnelly\Local Settings\Temp\Jetty__8080___cm-cactus\webapp\WEB-INF\lib\config-interfaces.jar,
                  i = 44,
                  message = invalid LOC header (bad signature)
                  at java.util.zip.ZipFile$2.nextElement(ZipFile.java:303)
                  at java.util.jar.JarFile$1.nextElement(JarFile.java:200)
                  at org.apache.jasper.compiler.TldLocationsCache.tldConfigJar(TldLocationsCache.java:238)
                  at org.apache.jasper.compiler.TldLocationsCache.processJars(TldLocationsCache.java:211)
                  at org.apache.jasper.compiler.TldLocationsCache.(TldLocationsCache.java:139)
                  at org.apache.jasper.EmbededServletOptions.(EmbededServletOptions.java:350)
                  at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.init(JspServlet.java:265)
                  at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.start(ServletHolder.java:208)
                  at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.initializeServlets(ServletHandler.java:427)
                  at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationContext.start(WebApplicationContext.java:405)
                  at org.jboss.jetty.Jetty.deploy(Jetty.java:409)
                  at org.jboss.jetty.JettyService.performDeploy(JettyService.java:243)
                  at org.jboss.web.AbstractWebContainer.start(AbstractWebContainer.java:300)
                  at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.start(MainDeployer.java:802)
                  ... 16 more

• 6. Re: jzentry == 0
                    cconnelly

Hey Jules, do you have an update for me on this?

• 7. Re: jzentry == 0
                      jules_gosnell

send me :

a war that displays this problem.
                      jvm version
                      os version
                      anything else relevant.

I will try to duplicate it.

Jules

• 8. Re: jzentry == 0

Hi Jules,

I can reproduce this, but I'm not sure sending you
                        a war is relevent. I actually saw it last week
                        when playing with the skeleton project for
                        webworks.

You have to change a support jar in WEB-INF/lib
                        before redeploying.
                        Just redeploying the same war works ok.

The problem is only in the 3.0 branch,
                        when I switched to 3.2 it didn't happen.

Regards,
                        Adrian

• 9. Re: jzentry == 0
                          cconnelly

Jules,

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like this bug can be reproduced by a simple ear file. It seems to have something to do with continually redeploying a file with the same name whose contents have changed slightly.

Basically the bug never happens when I redeploy the same exact file over again. It only happens during the development testing process. Where an archive is deployed to JBoss, tested, changed, redeployed and tested again. Which leads me to believe that this is some sort of cache confict issue.

If it helps: I am running JDK 1.4 on Windows XP (though I have seen this problem with JDK 1.3 as well).

The ear file I typically deploy contains a struts based war file, and ejb-jar that is using CMP and relations. I communicate between the war and the ejb-jar using an interfaces jar file in the lib of the war file (the "config-interfaces.jar" that showed up in the above trace message).

• 10. Re: jzentry == 0
                            cconnelly

After reading the post by Adrian it makes sense why I continue to get this problem. Every time I run my deploy procedure I rebuild the "config-interfaces.jar" which lives in the war's lib directory. When there are changes in that file this most likely causes the loader to choke. Good to hear it might be fixed in 3.2.

• 11. Re: jzentry == 0

OK - we're looing at it.

Jules

• 12. Re: jzentry == 0

Greg think that he has found the cuase of this.

It looks like the Jboss deployer is not doing a very good job of cleaning up old deployments. Tomcat makes no effort to reuse the old unpacking directory, Jetty does - hence the problem.

Jetty is now a lot more careful about what it tries to reuse.

There should be a 4.1.0RC7 release by the end of the day. Download it and try substituting the *mortbay*.jars from it into your /deploy/jbossweb.sar. Depending on whether you are using 1.2/3 or 1.4 you will need to select the correct org.mortbay.jetty.jar.

Let me know if this resolves your problem, So I can close the bug.

Thanks for your patience - we're a bit overloaded at the moment,

Jules

• 13. Re: jzentry == 0

Greg think that he has found the cuase of this.

It looks like the Jboss deployer is not doing a very good job of cleaning up old deployments. Tomcat makes no effort to reuse the old unpacking directory, Jetty does - hence the problem.

Jetty is now a lot more careful about what it tries to reuse.

There should be a 4.1.0RC7 release by the end of the day.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=7322

Download it and try substituting the *mortbay*.jars from it into your /deploy/jbossweb.sar. Depending on whether you are using 1.2/3 or 1.4 you will need to select the correct org.mortbay.jetty.jar.

Let me know if this resolves your problem, So I can close the bug.

Thanks for your patience - we're a bit overloaded at the moment,

Jules

• 14. Re: jzentry == 0

RC7 is turning into 4.1.0. This should be out within the next couple of days.

Thanks for your patience.

Jules

1 2 Previous Next