5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2002 5:40 AM by jules

Jboss 3.0.2/Jetty and apache 2.0.42 integration with mod_jk2

superdave591

I have managed to get the integration set up and working somewhat, however it acts funny, doesnt load pages, puts up what looks like partial buffers of html on the browser windows especially of you go the base of a URI without specifying the index.html and from the looks of error_log it is having some issues. I have pasted a few lines from my error_log below, in case someone has seen similar issues.

My ajp13 configuration is set up on port 8009 bound only to localhost, and everything works fine over port 8080 without going through apache.

Thanks,
      David Anderson
      mailto:danderso@mdhoria.org

[Thu Oct 03 15:22:50 2002] [error] mod_jk.handler() Error connecting to tomcat 120000
      [Thu Oct 03 15:22:51 2002] [error] ajp14.processCallbacks() error sending response data
      [Thu Oct 03 15:22:51 2002] [error] ajp13.service() ajpGetReply unrecoverable error -1
      [Thu Oct 03 15:22:51 2002] [error] ajp13.service() Error forwarding ajp13:localhost:8009
      [Thu Oct 03 15:22:51 2002] [error] mod_jk.handler() Error connecting to tomcat 120000
      [Thu Oct 03 15:23:00 2002] [error] ajp13.service() error sending, reconnect channel.socket:localhost:8009 -1 32 Broken pipe
      [Thu Oct 03 15:23:08 2002] [error] Error ajp_process_callback - write failed
      [Thu Oct 03 15:23:08 2002] [error] ajp13.service() ajpGetReply unrecoverable error 3
      [Thu Oct 03 15:23:08 2002] [error] ajp13.service() Error forwarding ajp13:localhost:8009
      [Thu Oct 03 15:23:08 2002] [error] mod_jk.handler() Error connecting to tomcat 120000
      [Thu Oct 03 15:27:03 2002] [error] ajp13.service() error sending, reconnect channel.socket:localhost:8009 -1 32 Broken pipe
      [Thu Oct 03 15:27:29 2002] [error] ajp13.service() Error sending initial post -1 32 0

• 1. Re: Jboss 3.0.2/Jetty and apache 2.0.42 integration with mod

Get Jetty 4.1.1 down from sourceforge and substitute it's newer jars for the similarly named ones in .../deploy/jbossweb.sar/ - several AJP fixes have gone in.

Moving up to these jars seems to break distributable sessions - I will try to get a fix out for this over the weekend.

Let us know how you get on with AJP/Jetty - it's very important to us that this is 100%.

Jules

• 2. Re: Jboss 3.0.2/Jetty and apache 2.0.42 integration with mod
            superdave591

Thanks Jules, I will try that tonight and report back with any progress good or bad..

David

• 3. Re: Jboss 3.0.2/Jetty and apache 2.0.42 integration with mod
              superdave591

Well at first glance it appears to have cleared things up. My configuration uses a web server and jboss/jetty configured on the same machine and not utilizing any clustering so I dont think distributed session problems ae going to affect me much at least in the short term. Hopefully within the next few weeks I will get some actual traffic on this particular application and may shake some more bugs loose. This is kind of a trial system I am using to learn J2ee development. I will keep the list updated if I have more problems. Thanks for your quick and helpful answer.

David

• 4. Re: Jboss 3.0.2/Jetty and apache 2.0.42 integration with mod
                superdave591

So far my app looks pretty good by itself. It wasnt until I tried using jmx-console through the apache link that I started running into more of those errors. My app still more or less works error free, and jmx-console appears to work decently just sends alot of those same errors to the apache error_log.

All of the wierd functioning of web pages is gone though as far as I can tell.. Its getting late here I will do some more testing tomorrow.. Let me know if there is something I should be looking at for you.

David

• 5. Re: Jboss 3.0.2/Jetty and apache 2.0.42 integration with mod

David,

Good to hear things are working for you.

I am building an Apache/Tomcat/JBoss site for a client at the moment and, if it is any consolation, my mod_jk.log is full of nasty messages as well...

We are going with local (non-distributable) sessions, affinity & fail-over through mod_jk, and the ability to bleed the sessions off a node before we take it down (via a custom filter that I have written). This way, we keep things really simple for the initial deployment and only lose sessions in case of catastrophic failure of a node.

We are working on making sure that Jetty can provide all the same functionality (but better - of course :-) ), so feedback would be very welcome.

It looks like Greg has just managed to speed us up another 10-15% - so things are looking good.

I will try to get the distributable stuff sorted out over the weekend.

Speak to you soon,

Jules