4 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2007 10:38 AM by ebgt

License: can Ajax4jsf run without OSCache?

Hello,

i see a license breach in parts of Open Symphony's OSCache (due to unauthorized changes on some parts of the code, that is not really "public domain").

Is it possible to run Ajax4Jsf without OSCache? If so, how can this be done?

Regards,
      Elmar

• 1. Re: License: can Ajax4jsf run without OSCache?

"unauthorized changes on some parts of the code". Could you clarify this phrase ?

We can support JbossCache in the future. It is less then half of dozen lines of code is required.

• 2. Re: License: can Ajax4jsf run without OSCache?

"SergeySmirnov" wrote:
            "unauthorized changes on some parts of the code". Could you clarify this phrase ?

We can support JbossCache in the future. It is less then half of dozen lines of code is required.

Ok - here's a brief summary of the situation:

- In OSCache, there's a class "AbstractConcurrentReadCache" that carries a copyright from Sun.
            - Sun licensed this code to Doug Lea allowing him to sublicense and to make changes on the original sources.
            - Doug Lea released his "derivative work" to the public domain (this can be found in a Note on his website).

- The problem is: Doug Lea's right to create "derivative works" is not transferable to the public domain (see the "Sun to Doug Lea" license on his website) and
            - the code has been modified by a third person (Alain Bergevin).

Until now i found no statements from Sun or Alain Bergevin, that prove this modifications have been made under different license terms than those stated in the source code (in fact all the references to Doug Lea's release to the public domain or his license from Sun are missing in the code).

http://g.oswego.edu/dl/classes/EDU/oswego/cs/dl/util/sun-u.c.license.pdf
            http://g.oswego.edu/dl/classes/EDU/oswego/cs/dl/util/concurrent/intro.html

As a consequence, Sun holds rights on OSCache that are not covered by the OSCache license. The same applies indirectly to ajax4jsf because it requires OSCache to run.

What priority has the turn to JBoss Cache in the development roadmap of ajax4jsf and when can it be available?

Cheers, Elmar

• 3. Re: License: can Ajax4jsf run without OSCache?

Update:

i contacted Alain Bergevin, who made the changes to the code in question. He confirmed, that neither Sun nor Doug Lea were involved in his modifications and that he does not add own license terms.

This clarifies the point, that changes have been made to the code of Doug Lea and that exactly Doug Lea's license is to be applied.

Elmar

• 4. Re: License: can Ajax4jsf run without OSCache? - YES IT CAN

"SergeySmirnov" wrote:

I removed all dependencies to OSCache myself in

ajax4jsf\framework\src\main\java\org\ajax4jsf\framework\
                resource\InternetResourceService.java

Seems to work without a cache at all.

It really isn't a big deal but helps me out of the licensing problem (figuring out how to recompile the stuff is more work - but thanks to the maven based build easy enough ;-). If anyone is interested in the code, please contact me by email: eb@t3medien.de.