3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2003 8:10 AM by petertje

Authentication From Jetty->Jboss Accross Servers

aweissman

Though I haven't tried yet, with the Jboss/Jetty integration I understand that users can authenticate against the JBoss realm to provide security to the web tier as well as on EJB methods. What I am wondering is, if my application is later deployed where JBoss and Jetty are on separate servers is this functionality still possible? If so, how?

Thanks,
      Alan

• 1. Re: Authentication From Jetty->Jboss Accross Servers

> Though I haven't tried yet, with the Jboss/Jetty
          > integration I understand that users can authenticate
          > against the JBoss realm to provide security to the
          > web tier as well as on EJB methods. What I am
          > wondering is, if my application is later deployed
          > where JBoss and Jetty are on separate servers is this
          > functionality still possible?

This is certainly possible, but i think you have to run Jetty in a JBoss container. This is needed in order to have the jboss-jetty integration code, that assures that the proper security context is used for EJB calls, based on the login credentials used for jetty login.
          Note that JBoss is based on a small JMX server, so configuring it for running jetty only (ie. running the jetty MBean) must be easy.

Of course if you are using a login module like DatabaseLoginModule in jetty, you'd also have to make sure jetty can remotely access the database that contains the users/roles.

Peter

• 2. Re: Authentication From Jetty->Jboss Accross Servers
            aweissman

so if I run a Jetty/Jboss instance as a web server then the authentication should pass through to the Jboss instance on the remote server? how is this accomplished?

• 3. Re: Authentication From Jetty->Jboss Accross Servers

> so if I run a Jetty/Jboss instance as a web server
              > then the authentication should pass through to the
              > Jboss instance on the remote server? how is this
              > accomplished?

Yep, the security context - or actually, the security credentials username and password - or passed with each remote call.