2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2003 7:11 AM by shasler

ClientServerLoginModule

shasler

Hi

When configuring a DataSource, in the ManagedConnectionFactoryProperties, two of the properties set in the example services are username and password.

This seems to work fine and allows beans (but apparently not external clients) to access to the database.

So, what is the point of setting up a ClientServerLoginModule and using JAAS to achieve exactly the same end?

Maybe I'm missing something fundamental.

thanks

Steve

• 1. Re: ClientServerLoginModule

> This seems to work fine and allows beans (but
          > apparently not external clients) to access to the
          > database.

That's right. Database access for beans is a completely different issue from client access to beans and/or databases.

> So, what is the point of setting up a
          > ClientServerLoginModule and using JAAS to achieve
          > exactly the same end?

I don't see what you mean by "the same end". LoginModules and JAAS can be used to limit access to EJBs

• 2. Re: ClientServerLoginModule
            shasler

Let me start again - I got the name of the login module wrong...

My question is : -

Why do I need to set up a ConfiguredIdentityLoginModule for a DataSource ?

Doing this is implied in the example script (hsqldb-serivice.xml

It is also described in JBoss 3.0 Deployment and Administration Handbook by Meeraj Moidoo Kunnumpurath)

I get the same effect (ie beans in the container can access the datasource whilst external clients can't) by having the username and password set up in the ManagedConnectionFactoryProperties.

Setting it up like this just seems a more complicated way of storing the username and password in a property file.

Unless, of course, I'm missing something fundamental.