6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2004 1:07 PM by pcross616

Unable to get message from remote topic

bisla

Hi,
      here the problem i'm facing.
      I have 2 scenarios one in which the jboss server , a jms topic pub, and jms topic sub all running on the same host
      (all in their separate vm though) are able to connect to the jboss server and messages sent by the pub are recived by the sub.
      Now the problem comes when the jboss server is on a different host say 'A' and the sub and pub programs on host b.
      The publisher and subscriber are able to connect to the jboss server jms impl on host 'A' but any message sent by the
      pub are not received by the sub.
      Both the hosts are on the same network. the interesting thing is sub and pub are both able to open a topicconnection etc
      and the pub is also able to send but the sub never receives any messages.
      Is there a time to live on the message that could be increased ??
      Any pointers would be helpful.
      thanks.

• 1. Re: Unable to get message from remote topic
          jschwartz73

Hello,

Has anyone made any progress with this issue? I am having the exact same problem. I've been scouring the forums and documenation for any help with it.

I'm running JBoss version 4.0.0 on both linux and windows. My topics and queues all work perfectly when all are running on a single machine - regardless of platform.

As soon as I split the JBoss server onto it's own host, i don't get any messages. When using the JMX Console I can see that both my subscribers and publishers are registering correctly with the destination manager. But the messages sent never get to the server.

If someone can point me to turning logging on for the JMS part of JBoss that would greatly be appreciated.

I'm evaluating JBoss in place of openjms. Our code has ported with almost no changes to allow for JBoss, except for this problem. I feel like it is a jboss configuration issue.

I've tried starting jboss normally with ./run.sh and also with ./run -c default --host myjbossserver.mydomain.com

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• 2. Re: Unable to get message from remote topic
            jschwartz73

A few last notes:

There is no firewall running on either windows or linux.

All my networking is setup correctly. I've also tried setting the ip address for the JMSProviderLoader with the following line:

My jboss server is on the same subnet as the clients.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Unable to get message from remote topic
              jschwartz73

A few last notes:

There is no firewall running on either windows or linux.

All my networking is setup correctly. I've also tried setting the ip address for the JMSProviderLoader with the following line:

mbean code="org.jboss.jms.jndi.JMSProviderLoader" name="jboss.mq:service=JMSProviderLoader,name=JMSProvider,server=192.168.x.y"

My jboss server is on the same subnet as the clients.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Unable to get message from remote topic
                jschwartz73

My apologies for throwing a bunch of messages in here quite rapidly.

If I would have taken the time to read the README FIRST post at:
                http://jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=43573

I would have found out how to turn on logging.

I still feel like this problem should be a lot easier to fix then it is.

Oh well, back to the grind stone.

Please let me know if you have any additional information.

Thanks in advance.

• 5. Re: Unable to get message from remote topic
                  jschwartz73

Solution!!!

After going through all the logs and comparing them to the logs when the messages are received, I noticed that the messages were expiring.

What is wierd is if I put any value between 1500ms and 150000ms for timeToLive, the messages will expire. The only value that works as of right now is 0.

That is good enough for me to continue testing.

Hope this thread helps someone else in the future.

• 6. Re: Unable to get message from remote topic

Well atleast I am not the only one, I tried to implement timeToLive but it seems that the only configuration refrence to timeToLive is for MDB. I have a normal JMS Consumer listening for messages. I am running Jboss 3.2.5 with 4 - 7 different topics and queues. After I turn on the trace logging in log4j.xml I see my listeners recieving messages and then after awhile they just are waiting but nothing is coming to them. But I know I am sending new messages and I don't see any errors.

I have tried implementing the consumer the following ways.

queueReceiver.setMessageListener(<instance of message listener>);

-- and --

while (true) {
                     Message message = queueReceiver.receive();
                     onMessage(message);
                     }

Both work in the begining but over time something happens where they don't recive anymore messages. So any help would be great.

Thanks,
                    Pete