7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2010 9:53 AM by joe.marques

Alerting on call time data

fbrueseke

Hi Jopr experts.

I have seen that Jopr has some neat alerting features. But I was diappointed that you cannot define alerts that evaluate call time data. Are you planning to support this in the future?

If not what do you think where I should implement the feature: in the agent? in the server? in the database?

Kind regards
      Frank

• 1. Re: Alerting on call time data
          fbrueseke

After some thought on alerting I have thought about implementing call-time data alerting myself in Jopr/RHQ.

Can you give me a few pointers where to look in the code?

Kind regards
          Frank

• 2. Re: Alerting on call time data
            ips

Adding a new type of alert condition would be done in the Server code, which lives in the ${rhq-trunk}/modules/server/jar module. You can start out by looking at the org.rhq.enterprise.server.measurement.CallTimeDataManagerBean SLSB, which contains the methods that are called to add, query, and purge call-time data. I'm not super familiar with the impl of the alerting subsystem, but one place to start would be the org.rhq.enterprise.server.alert.engine.AlertConditionCacheManagerBean SLSB. As you can see, that class has a checkConditions() method for each different type of alert condition. You should be able to look at one of the existing methods and see what it does and when it is called.

Good luck,
            Ian

• 3. Re: Alerting on call time data
              fbrueseke

Can you give me also some pointers for Alert UI?

Kind regards
              Frank

• 4. Re: Alerting on call time data

Frank,

I'm working on putting a document together that will list in detail all the various places in the code base that need to be modified to extend alerts in this way. Stay tuned.

-joseph

• 5. Re: Alerting on call time data
                  fbrueseke

Hi Joseph,

sounds great. Now that I have some more time to spare for alerting I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Kind regards
                  Frank

• 6. Re: Alerting on call time data
                    fbrueseke

Hi Joseph.

It has been while since you first announced that you would give me an overview over the alerting facilities of Jopr. Have you already got someting?

Kind regards
                    Frank

• 7. Re: Alerting on call time data

FYI, alerting on call-time data is available in the RHQ 3.0.0 community release.  It's considered an experimental feature, however, so you will need to go to the administration page an enable the experimental features option to use it.  Much thanks to Frank for this contribution.