2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2006 7:39 AM by Keith Devlin

Using an MBean to spawn native Process with JBoss AS/4.03 an

Keith Devlin Newbie

Hi,

I'm running JBoss AS 4.03 to perform some simulation work. I've got an MBean which spawns off various threads. Each thread in turn calls java.lang.Runtime.exec() to create a native process. Invocation of this works find. I can create processes all day long and interrupt my threads. However, if I call destroy() on a Process, which was created by a thread, held by the mbean, the JBoss AS shutdown hook is abruptly called and everything ends with:

[exec] 15:45:50,433 INFO [Server] Runtime shutdown hook called, forceHalt: true
      [exec] 15:45:50,433 INFO [Server] JBoss SHUTDOWN: Undeploying all packages

Questions:
      1. Is is ok (or at least permitted) to spawn threads and native Process objects from an MBean?
      2. How does one go about forcefully destroying a spawned Process without killing the application server?

I would hate to move my process handling to a separate JVM outside of JBoss. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
      Keith

• 1. Re: Using an MBean to spawn native Process with JBoss AS/4.0
          Dimitris Andreadis Master

1. Not stricly spec compliant (if talking about EJBs), but Ok
          2. Don't know. If you can have a look, for the jboss web project, mladen made a wrapper library on top of apr (apache portable runtime) which may have better process control.

Let us know of your findings anyway. I'd be glad to incorporate a general purpose process handling mbean to jboss.

• 2. Re: Using an MBean to spawn native Process with JBoss AS/4.0
            Keith Devlin Newbie

Just as an update, I was able to find a solution to the problem. In order to spawn a native Process from an MBean required 3 threads and a signal handler. One thread handled the exec() and destroy() of the Process and implemented a signal handler to catch SIGTERM. The other two threads were typical stdout/stderr consumers to grab the output of the Process.

The key to the resolution was the introduction of a signal handler. I thought JBoss AS would object, but it seemed to work fine. I can either call Process.destroy() and kill the spawned process without affecting JBoss, or externally just "kill -9" the PID of the process without affecting JBoss. The signal handler for the thread which exec'd the Process catches the SIGTERM and my JBoss AS no longer exits with a sudden shutdown hook call.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
            Keith