5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2002 11:41 PM by whitewolf

JBoss 3.0 and Red Hat Linux 8.0

whitewolf

I have recently installed RH Linux 8.0 (clean install). I then installed Java 1.3.1 (binary from Sun) and JBoss 3.0. Both installed without error. When I start JBoss, I get multiple WARN messages about missing jar files and jar files that are referenced but that cannot be located.

I have set the following environment variables and exported them (in /etc/profile)

JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java <- where java is a symbolic link

JBOSS_HOME=/usr/local/jboss <- where jboss is a symbolic link

My PATH var includes /usr/local/java/bin

Have I missed something along the way regarding setup? I expected that the JBoss server would at least start up after a clean install without warnings so I'm certain that there is a step or two that I have missed.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: JBoss 3.0 and Red Hat Linux 8.0
          prabhakar

Post the warning messages that you are getting.

-prabhakar

• 2. Re: JBoss 3.0 and Red Hat Linux 8.0
            whitewolf

I get the following WARN messages during startup. I have copied several jar files into the server/default/lib folder and managed to reduce the number of WARN messages but these still appear even though the jar files are present.
            21:10:24,591 WARN [MainDeployer] The manifest entry in file:/usr/local/jboss-3.0.4/server/default/lib/castor.jar references URL file:/usr/local/jboss-3.0.4/server/default/lib/xerces.jar, which could not be opened, entry ignored
            21:10:24,818 WARN [MainDeployer] The manifest entry in file:/usr/local/jboss-3.0.4/server/default/lib/castor.jar references URL file:/usr/local/jboss-3.0.4/server/default/lib/jdbc-se2.0.jar, which could not be opened, entry ignored
            21:10:25,054 WARN [MainDeployer] The manifest entry in file:/usr/local/jboss-3.0.4/server/default/lib/castor.jar references URL file:/usr/local/jboss-3.0.4/server/default/lib/jndi.jar, which could not be opened, entry ignored

• 3. Re: JBoss 3.0 and Red Hat Linux 8.0

As near as I can tell, the castor.jar, and optional.jar files are REFERENCED, but not used by, the xalan.jar and crimson.jar files.

I have experienced some VERY STRANGE xml parsing errors, but everything seems to work alright without these files.

Are you having a specific problem, or are you like me, and don't like to see WARN: issues in you startup log, even though everything seems to work........

I discovered this issue, while configuring my login-config.xml file.

If I include the DTD in the config file, I get errors, and it doesn't work, if I exclude it, I get errors, but it does work.............Frustrating........

Anyhoo.........Rambling...........Leaving now

G

• 4. Re: JBoss 3.0 and Red Hat Linux 8.0
                joelvogt

which version of the jdk? Have you tried jdk1.3.1_06? Also with early 1.3.1 jdks and red hat we also sorted some problems by doing

ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2

It might be worth a try anyway.

• 5. Re: JBoss 3.0 and Red Hat Linux 8.0
                  whitewolf

I haven't proceeded very far past the startup. Aside from the WARN messages (which do NOT appear on my Win 2K install of JBoss) I cannot access JBoss using http://localhost:8082. I'm certain that this is due to the firewall configuration under RH 8.0. I explicitly specified no firewall in the install of RH 8.0 but when I check it via the GUI, the security is set to maximum and I cannot turn it off.

Personally, I'd rather not see the WARN messages on a clean install.